Wyoming Super Raffle and Super Trifecta Tag Questions

SprintNShoot7

Dec 19, 2011
Wyoming
Hi everybody, I'm currently a senior at the University of Wyoming studying Journalism. I am taking an investigative reporting class and for my final paper I have to write a paper about a topic relating to Wyoming. I want to write about the super raffle tag and super trifecta tags. I would like to interview a few hunters on their thoughts. I am looking for resident Wyoming hunters and nonresident hunters who love to hunt in Wyoming. If you choose to participate, I will need your name and contact information because my professor will randomly contact people in the story to make sure that I actually interviewed them. Thanks for your consideration and for your help with my assignment.

SprintNShoot7

Dec 19, 2011
Wyoming
Thanks for the PM's guys. I have returned your messages. Also TopGun, you being a non resident is perfect because I'd like to balance the story with some non resident opinions.

If anyone else has read this and thought it would be cool to respond to but weren't quite sure what I was looking for I'll elaborate. First I'd like to apologize for being kind of vague in my original post, this semester has been really busy in all of my classes and I wanted to put some feelers out to get things started while I ironed out the details of what I was looking for.

I'm looking for opinions on the Super Tag and Super Trifecta Tag Raffles as a means of fund raising for the Wyoming Game and Fish. I want to know why you think it is a good idea or a bad idea, what you like or dislike about the system, how you think it compares to other western states raffle and/or auction tags, and how you think it compares as a money making effort as opposed to other methods the Game and Fish has proposed or has done in the past such as raising tag fees or increasing the number of additional tags a year.

I wanted to do a story on this for a few reasons. Number one it is something I'm interested in, and I feel that most everyone can relate to doing better on assignments that dealt with topics you are interested in than not. I also want to know about the fund raising methods. I remember in 2012, when the Casper Star ran a story about the G&F being in financial trouble. Then, three weeks later there was a story about how hunters were able to hold up to three elk licenses, with up to 2 additional cow/calf tags for select areas. This set off my red flags because I worried that in an effort to raise money, the herds in those areas would be over hunted, which would mean next year the quality of the hunt would go down and probably fewer tags would be sold. The catch-22 of the process of making money by selling tags and balancing the need for money with the possibility of over selling and not making much money the following year (or years) intrigues me. I grew up in Region G/K, and I remember my dad telling me stories of when I was little (early 90s) that there were a lot of deer and you could legally hunt and take antler less deer. Around that time the Game and Fish issued additional doe/fawn tags (about 4,000 according to my dad) and many people bought and filled them. This changed deer hunting in that area, as now the deer seem harder to come by, and you can no longer hunt antler less deer. This really angered some people (like my dad) because they are dyed in the wool meat hunters and would rather shoot a dry doe than a buck that isn't matured.

Again thanks for your time and consideration.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
If you need another person, I would glad to help you. I grew up in Wyoming but have been a non-resident for the last 14 years or so.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The worst 14 years of your life I'm guessing?
LOL... not quite. I am only a 6 hour drive from the border now. The worst years were when I moved to south east Texas chasing a job. Spent three long years in that place. Outdoors were fun but the climate is unbearable for a Wyoming kid.

I actually like being here in Nebraska. I actually have more hunting options even though they cost a bit more. Wyoming treats non-residents pretty good IMO.