Wyoming outfitters tags ?

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Whoa whoa whoa!

Lets all not loose sight of this fact:

RESIDENTS bitching constantly about their “lack of opportunity” got all of the dust in the air to begin with. Those same residents who bitched and pissed and moaned and cheerleader for 90/10 for the big 5 and then were pushing for 90/10 for DEA are all to blame for the current shitty situation. BuzzH and a bunch of other knuckleheads are 100% to blame for stirring the pot across multiple Internet forums with their hatred of nonresident hunters (and jealousy of us getting the small amount of tags that we even get ) to the point that he was banned on another popular forum.

So don’t sit there telling me it’s raining while pissing down my neck just because the cards didn’t exactly fall the way you all wanted them to because the WTF is filled with a bunch of idiots.

Pretending to give a crap now. That’s rich! You and your “task force” made your bed. Now go count your sheep.

Truth be told I would rather see the tags go to the outfitters than to the residents at this point. That truly pains me to say, as I despise outfitters but at least then I would still have a chance to get a tag. Oh and I guess you residents would as well. So that’s fair right!? If I have to pay a kings ransom to hunt, so should you since your the ones who got this big ball of BS rolling.

At least you know where I stand.
We've known where you stand for a long time but again facts don't matter to you at all.

Guess what smarty, the tags going to outfitters will not come out of the resident pool, ha ha jokes on you. If you want to hunt Wyoming, which obviously you don't , you'll pay an outfitter or buy a bunch of PP if this passes.

Residents have no hatred like yours.
We will come out of this just fine but as of now we are looking out for our NR friends.
We will still have nice, cheap license to hunt all we want.
NRs will thank the likes of you that did nothing but whine and name call.

For those of you that actually care, make your comments and make good valid points.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Thank you captain obvious for pointing out that the outfitter tags would be coming out of the NR allocation. Who would have guessed that?!

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Does anyone know what percentage of non residents currently uses outfitters. Most outfitters are currently booked up two to three years out so they must be getting a decent percentage of NRs now.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I do not think outfitter allotment of tags would be good for anyone but the outfitters. In fact I think it would hurt resident hunters. With the decrease of income from the current 90/10 split and most likely future 90/10 DEA. The revenue from PP will take a big hit. If you add in an outfitter allotment chances are very good that will have a big hit on PP as well. I am hearing people every where talking about their exit plan from Wyoming PP system. I know I have one.
Not a bad thing for resident, but they need to realize their tag cost are going to greatly increase. If you add up revenue from PP and the reduction of non-residence tags. It does not take a rocket scientist figure it out. Residents will pay to make up the loss from non-resident revenue.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have hunted Wyoming as a nonresident almost every year since 1980. I have made many friends there and wanted to move there when I retired in 2000, just couldn't convince my wife (she doesn't like the wind! LOL). In all the years I have only had one negative experience (had a trailer hitch stolen off my truck while shopping in Casper). The only place I really don't care for in the whole state is the Jackson area. Have hunted a lot of private property (with little or no trespass fees charged) by just asking. One small ranch I hunted antelope on and was charged no fee, myself and my Dad spent a day helping the rancher buck his hay into his barn, just to say thanks. Every private ranch I have hunted, I always send a Christmas smoked ham or turkey. Most don't say no when you ask to hunt again.

I know times have changed and are sure to change more, probably not for the better for nonresidents. Lots of the smaller places have been bought by out of staters, and that ticks off the residents usually blaming it on "rich Californians". Severl places I used to hunt have ended up this way and I am sure it will not end.

Things change........not all for the better.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
side note, if there's No outfitter registered in a particular unit then what?? lol. can't apply? goat unit 393 for example...

I keep saying it... if money is their goal... just raise tag fees for ALL. Think elk tag supply will increase if residents have to pay $1000.
1 pot, everyone applies for the tags together, everyone pays the same price. Sounds like a win-win, better odds.
Wrong state bro... there's only areas 1-5 for Mtn. goats in WY. 90-10 already passed for the big 5 (moose, sheep, Mtn. goat, bison and grizzly) with no outfitter set aside. These new proposals are for deer, elk, and pronghorn only.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
The outfitter allotment is rumored to be the special draw, the other NR licenses might have a price increase that follows.
Residents would only be affected if folks lease their lands to outfitters. This would not hurt us that much , but could.
90/10 is not really on the agenda for E,D and P right now.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The outfitter allotment is rumored to be the special draw, the other NR licenses might have a price increase that follows.
Residents would only be affected if folks lease their lands to outfitters. This would not hurt us that much , but could.
Is what they are proposing only for outfitters or are they talking about setting aside some tags for landowners who just charge a trespass fee?

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Now I'm confused. The last thing i read most recently was all about E, D, A. This stuff is bouncing all over the place...

The hatred for outfitters seems to be the deciding factor. Personally have nothing against outfitters, or DIY. Feel that my 2023 outfitted hunt will be nice. Would have done DIY if thought could get the tag in a reasonable amount of time.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
NR's fund 77% of license revenue, not the over-all budget.

How many volunteer hours (at a calculated value of $29/hour) do NR's provide to wildlife, habitat, etc?

How many commission meetings, task force meetings, land use meetings, GF meetings, Legislative interim meetings, etc. do NR's attend per year?

I make no claim to "do more" as a NR in any State I hunt by paying higher license fees. I do the absolute minimum, which is cut a check for a NR license/application fees, etc.

In every state, the Residents of those states do a vast majority of the work, and fund a majority of the wildlife related work, no question and its the same in Wyoming.

Wyoming is forcing no NR's to apply for a tag, pay for a point, or even bother to come here at all for that matter.

If you don't like the fees, the allocations, buying points, etc. take your money and apply elsewhere. No problem and the Residents will always figure out how to make it all work. We always do.

Reactions: Granby guy

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Not a chance. They will drop this right on the NR's shoulders.
As if NR's don't already pretty much support their entire program. The beatings will continue until moral improves.....

View attachment 40652
As the tags for non-residents dry up so will the people willing to invest. At some point there will be a large loss in revenue. Wyoming will have to make up a new trick to lure in the revenue. My bet is large increases on resident tags. This may take a few years but it is in the near future.

To Buzz:
Keep the faith. I know how volunteer works. There is a small percent of people involved. The small percent works very hard, but I doubt there are any true numbers involved. All the things you point out are good things, but lets call it as it is. Non-Residents foot the bill. When Wyoming runs them all off someone will have to foot the bill. As you stated "take your money and apply somewhere else" That is coming and in large numbers with the current direction. Like I said that is ok just be ready to foot the bill.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Honestly , Wyoming will sell every NR licenses they put out, I would rather see DIY hunters get them over outfitted hunters .

Get those comments submitted.
Agreed. Wyoming could double permit fees and still have no problem selling every single tag.

Reactions: BuzzH

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Agreed. Wyoming could double permit fees and still have no problem selling every single tag.
Yeah i have to go ahead and say probably not. Prices increase dang near every year throughout the west it seems, both to purchase preference points and or licenses. Plus with rising fuel costs ( yes i know they have come down a bit) nothing is getting cheaper, and by that i mean nothing is staying the same. It all goes up and interest will change. Give it 5 years.....

• Haha
Reactions: BuzzH

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Not as a long term thing - there will be a point of negative return.

Increased rates, reduced opportunity to draw, long wait times - not exactly a dangling carrot.
Demand is not going to decrease and I agree that we could easily double the fees and every tag would sell.

The special WY NR fee worked for the outfitters for a while, but in the scheme of NR hunting, its not even a proper rounding error in the cost. That's why WOGA is trying to get a set aside, the special fee prices are being paid by a lot more DIY folks than outfitted clients.

Don't try to tell me otherwise, I apply and hunt 3-6 states a year. Paying a couple hundred more for the one thing you absolutely have to obtain to hunt, isn't even close to a game changer.

Factor in food, fuel, rifles, ATV's, trucks, spotting scopes, ammo, binoculars, tents, sleeping bags, GPS, and the literal mountain of other crap we buy to spend a month hunting. Literally chump change to spend a couple hundred more for a tag, not even worth a second thought.

Reactions: D_Dubya

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I have no doubt that Wyoming will be able to raise whatever amount of money they need through NR license and PP sales, but it will be from a smaller pool of hunters that are willing/able to spend increasing amounts of money. I understand it and complaining about it will not change it. I just hate to see people priced out sporting opportunities, so I am going to do everything within my power to go hunting while I still can.