Wyoming NR general tags - how many point required this year ??

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Some are likely mistakes but I know of a couple guys just jumping out of the game and wanted to burn their points.
This is the big thing. Hunters who have been putting in for years and finally realize that the hunt that they really want to go on just isn't going to happen in their lifetime. So they cash in on a sure thing enable to take a elk home.

I did the same thing here in Colorado. I had planned on hunting up in the north west corner for a elk using my muzzle loader. I looked at what the points were doing and realized that I would be pushing 80 by the time that I drew. So I cashed my points in on a unit that I had 2 more points than needed just to be able to hunt a quality unit during the muzzle loader.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
This is the big thing. Hunters who have been putting in for years and finally realize that the hunt that they really want to go on just isn't going to happen in their lifetime. So they cash in on a sure thing enable to take a elk home.

I did the same thing here in Colorado. I had planned on hunting up in the north west corner for a elk using my muzzle loader. I looked at what the points were doing and realized that I would be pushing 80 by the time that I drew. So I cashed my points in on a unit that I had 2 more points than needed just to be able to hunt a quality unit during the muzzle loader.
I'm trying to do that for Wyoming moose but unfortunately I tried a couple of years too late. Seems to be a mass exodus of teens point holders jumping out of the game.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I guess this thread shows why I get upset when Buzz wants to limit tags to non-residents. As a non-resident we are already limited quite a bit due to the wilderness area restrictions. Sure get a guide and nonresident can apply to those areas. For me I do not want a guide. Just not the same as doing it yourself. Even if money was not a consideration I would not want a guide. Wyoming can and will do what they want. I will play the game or I will not. The demand for tags is a good thing for the animals when all is said and done. Happy hunting to all.
I feel the same way, nothing against guided hunts, I’ve done it one time, but that’s not what gets me excited about hunting. I enjoy the preparation and scouting.

Reactions: Winchester

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
I guess this thread shows why I get upset when Buzz wants to limit tags to non-residents. As a non-resident we are already limited quite a bit due to the wilderness area restrictions. Sure get a guide and nonresident can apply to those areas. For me I do not want a guide. Just not the same as doing it yourself. Even if money was not a consideration I would not want a guide. Wyoming can and will do what they want. I will play the game or I will not. The demand for tags is a good thing for the animals when all is said and done. Happy hunting to all.
Most residents think the wilderness law is BS but plenty of great hunting outside of wilderness areas. I have never understood the NR fixation on the wilderness but I haven't hunted in any as a resident . I guess I can see hunters wanting to get back from the roads, wilderness does provide that somewhat but most have roads all around and some right through.
I agree with you on the no guide part.
We just want a few more LQ tags in great areas. I support not rolling our resident under allocated licenses right into the NR draw. Let those licenses go to the leftover draw all have a chance at, residents and NRs. You can keep the allocation set aside now but don't get the leftovers from the resident draw . Let all applicants have a shot at those licenses not just NR.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
you can always move and become a resident. I don't live in wyoming, but residents should have way, way more of an advantage getting tags in there home state then non-residents. you can also apply in other states besides wyoming. Since you choose to apply in a certain state you are agreeing to how they run things. If you don't like it, apply in another state, that fits how you want things to be run.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Are you kidding? You guys are sounding like you might just reside in North Korea.
So...just for the record, MT, AZ, ID, NM, OR, ND etc. that limit NR's to 10% (or less) of their tags, they're all residents of North Korea?

Why no outrage for 90-10 in those states?

Serious question.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
So...just for the record, MT, AZ, ID, NM, OR, ND etc. that limit NR's to 10% (or less) of their tags, they're all residents of North Korea?

Why no outrage for 90-10 in those states?

Serious question.
Change is never fun when it negatively impacts people. I'm sure people were mad at other states when changes were made as well but I'm guessing the news wasn't as widely publicized on outdoor forums at the time those changes were made.

You still thinking 50% random and 50% bonus points will be the direction they go?

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Change is never fun when it negatively impacts people. I'm sure people were mad at other states when changes were made as well but I'm guessing the news wasn't as widely publicized on outdoor forums at the time those changes were made.

You still thinking 50% random and 50% bonus points will be the direction they go?
Some people like to complain even when the change doesn't impact them as much as they think, and I find it interesting that we have so many Resident "commies" living in the West. I'm also still trying to get my mind around how Residents wanting 90% of the tags in their State is a communist idea.

I also think you could be right, but I wonder if maybe NR hunters of the past were just a bit less entitled? That would be my guess, they probably were just appreciative of any opportunity outside their own State that they were allowed. Probably believed a bit more strongly in State's rights would be another guess.

I believe when the dust settles it will be a 50-50 split for random/preference across the board for all species...it makes sense.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Ok, lets get to the bottom of this subject. Everyone has the right to their opinion whether I agree or not. I do agree hunting close to home seems fair. I also support states rights. I also understand I will abide by what any state puts into law.
I own a good piece of hunting property here in Arkansas. So I have the right to hunt my property as long as I follow state rules and guide lines. I think we can all agree on that.
Now the state owns land and controls who can and can not hunt these lands. I think it is the state's right to offer the available hunting opportunity to it's own residents first.
Now lets talk about federal owned lands. This is where everyone gets side ways. Who has the right to decide who gets to hunt there. Some say the state manages the game so they have the right. Management of the resource and hunting opportunity allotment are not the same. This is where I feel the non-resident is getting a bad deal. You will never persuade me the state you live in, gives you more right to hunt federal owned land.
One of the main reasons the reduction of non-resident tags in Wyoming really chaps my butt is the access yes program. No one seemed to care when I donated quite a bit of money over the years that I was a non-resident.
I have fought for non-resident rights several times in my home state. See we have locals who also want to limit hunting for waterfowl on federal lands. Even though it would make the hunting better for myself and other residents. It is just not right. I personally do not support restrictions on state owned lands to non-residents.
Well now you know how I feel about that.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Ok, lets get to the bottom of this subject. Everyone has the right to their opinion whether I agree or not. I do agree hunting close to home seems fair. I also support states rights. I also understand I will abide by what any state puts into law.
I own a good piece of hunting property here in Arkansas. So I have the right to hunt my property as long as I follow state rules and guide lines. I think we can all agree on that.
Now the state owns land and controls who can and can not hunt these lands. I think it is the state's right to offer the available hunting opportunity to it's own residents first.
Now lets talk about federal owned lands. This is where everyone gets side ways. Who has the right to decide who gets to hunt there. Some say the state manages the game so they have the right. Management of the resource and hunting opportunity allotment are not the same. This is where I feel the non-resident is getting a bad deal. You will never persuade me the state you live in, gives you more right to hunt federal owned land.
One of the main reasons the reduction of non-resident tags in Wyoming really chaps my butt is the access yes program. No one seemed to care when I donated quite a bit of money over the years that I was a non-resident.
I have fought for non-resident rights several times in my home state. See we have locals who also want to limit hunting for waterfowl on federal lands. Even though it would make the hunting better for myself and other residents. It is just not right. I personally do not support restrictions on state owned lands to non-residents.
Well now you know how I feel about that.
Can't agree with much in that post.

There is nobody giving Residents any more right to hunt federal lands, state lands, or private land for that matter than a NR. You can come to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and you have as much right to hunt Federal Lands as Resident. You have as much right to ask a private landowner as to hunt as a Resident. Same with your ability to access State lands.

You're confusing ACCESS to our wildlife with ACCESS to Federal Lands.

The State absolutely has the right to limit your access to our wildlife via tag allocations, where you can hunt, the number of animals you can hunt, and also how much you have to pay to do it. Residents are also subject to those same limitations, we have to follow bag limits, where we can and can't hunt, etc. Its called the law and its been upheld in court and via S. 339 recently.

As you pointed out the State of Arkansas is putting limitations on THEIR wildlife. As a private landowner you can't shoot deer 365 days a year, you can't likely trap or snare them, probably can't poison them, and so on. They control the access to their wildlife, period.

Just the way it is, and still struggling to see how that is a "North Korean" (communist) approach. It gives each state the right to manage wildlife for the beneficiaries of that Wildlife, the Citizens of the State it resides in.

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
go_deep said:
Went through some of the draw odds. Seen 5, 6, 7, 9, and 11 preference points used on full price cow licenses. I can't understand that.
This will be me next year.
Maybe not next year, but soon, very soon. 9 points right now, if I can find a limited quota cow tag in a unit that has great access I'm in for a calf or a young cow.