Wyoming NR general tags - how many point required this year ??

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
Ive seen the 2021 stats on the WY Game and Fish site ...does that hold true for the out of staters who drew General tags, it took at least 3 points ?

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Guys jumping out of point pools just to get to hunt. Some because they see where point creep is headed, others because they got skunked everywhere else. The next couple of years are going to be interesting, the ripple effects of 2020 will last for a couple of years.
Looking over the draw results shows people burning way more points than necessary in low point areas and lots of max points holders jumping ship. I hope it keeps up to be honest so maybe point creep may slow/retract a little in a few years. I go on one out of state hunt per year and have started building points for 5 states. Going to take me a while to burn them all so Wyoming may become a state i plan to burn points in 3-5 years.

Reactions: THelms

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The 90/10 talk has alot of people jumping in....
I would agree... but I think people are jumping the gun on elk. The earliest 90/10 could impact anyone is 2023 and General tags would only be positively impacted IF it even passes. I think the bigger concern for some is the likely price increases that will go along with 90/10 for non residents. Over 1k for a general elk will get some to exit the points game prematurely.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Looking over the draw results shows people burning way more points than necessary in low point areas and lots of max points holders jumping ship. I hope it keeps up to be honest so maybe point creep may slow/retract a little in a few years. I go on one out of state hunt per year and have started building points for 5 states. Going to take me a while to burn them all so Wyoming may become a state i plan to burn points in 3-5 years.
It will be minimal IMO on slowing creep down. Ltd of people will still buy points and then we will have a glut of low point holders building from the bottom eventually exacerbating the issue.

I would live to see waiting periods for trophy hunts. Sit out for 3 years with no ability to buy points if you draw first choice. This would have a negative effect on the bottom line, but it would cycle more people through. Which is essentially the reason for point creep.

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
It will be minimal IMO on slowing creep down. Ltd of people will still buy points and then we will have a glut of low point holders building from the bottom eventually exacerbating the issue.

I would live to see waiting periods for trophy hunts. Sit out for 3 years with no ability to buy points if you draw first choice. This would have a negative effect on the bottom line, but it would cycle more people through. Which is essentially the reason for point creep.
What do you consider a trophy hunt? It looks like lots of top point holders decided to cash in this year. Ill have 5 points come July so hopefully ill be able to get into a good hunt in a few years.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
What do you consider a trophy hunt? It looks like lots of top point holders decided to cash in this year. Ill have 5 points come July so hopefully ill be able to get into a good hunt in a few years.
Game and Fish already has qualifications for what they consider trophy management, simplest solution then would be for those to be the hunts that qualify as that. Buzz or Guy might have a few more details on how they arrive at that management strategy.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Game and Fish already has qualifications for what they consider trophy management, simplest solution then would be for those to be the hunts that qualify as that. Buzz or Guy might have a few more details on how they arrive at that management strategy.
Wyoming doesn't call it trophy management its either recreation management or special management. Most general areas are under recreation management, but, some LQ areas are too.

Elk herds managed for recreation need to have 18-25 bulls per 100 cows post harvest.

Special management requires 30+ bulls per 100 cows post harvest.

Sometimes, the designation is made when a unit under recreation management is exceeding the special management post harvest bull to cow ratio's.

Also, some of the special management numbers hover right near that 30 level, while others exceed 50 bulls per 100 cows.

Some years, recreation management exceeds 30 per 100, depending on hunting success, weather, herd numbers, etc. If bull to cow ratio's dip below 18 per 100 for more than a season, usually season is shortened and/or spikes are excluded from harvest.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Wyoming doesn't call it trophy management its either recreation management or special management. Most general areas are under recreation management, but, some LQ areas are too.

Elk herds managed for recreation need to have 18-25 bulls per 100 cows post harvest.

Special management requires 30+ bulls per 100 cows post harvest.

Sometimes, the designation is made when a unit under recreation management is exceeding the special management post harvest bull to cow ratio's.

Also, some of the special management numbers hover right near that 30 level, while others exceed 50 bulls per 100 cows.

Some years, recreation management exceeds 30 per 100, depending on hunting success, weather, herd numbers, etc. If bull to cow ratio's dip below 18 per 100 for more than a season, usually season is shortened and/or spikes are excluded from harvest.
And there it is.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
The 90/10 talk has alot of people jumping in....
I'm not sure what the current ratios are....?
but I assume this means giving non-res less tags, and residents more tags....?
and if a non-res tag is 10x more than a resident tag.... that looks like ALOT of lost revenue... $$$

I wonder at what point non-res stop paying or resident stop paying?
Would a resident pay $500 for a bull elk tag? the non-res fee?
would a non-res pay $1500? $2500?

supply and demand.... I see fees going way up.... and it always seems like the plan is just make non-res pay more and keep res tags cheap....but eventually I would think that would run out and then res fees would be going way up....

oh well, pay to play...
honestly at this point and all my points out west....in many circumstances when I draw that tag...I'll probably be done re-applying for that animal....

Scott, as for waiting periods....even 1 year no appy after a successful elk hunt etc.... would help some things...

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
Thats where I am at. I have 12 now and don't know what to do next January as non Res. Will be 66 next year when I hunt. I get around fine . any Ideas as what I should look at besides unit 7. I wanna hunt next year for Sure.......Thanks Guys!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Thats where I am at. I have 12 now and don't know what to do next January as non Res. Will be 66 next year when I hunt. I get around fine . any Ideas as what I should look at besides unit 7. I wanna hunt next year for Sure.......Thanks Guys!
If you are going guided, 108 should be a consideration. You are a point or so short for the areas I would recommend for DIY.

Reactions: Naturebob

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
at the moment the 90-10 talk is only on the "big 5",,but if it does go thru,you know the next attack will be on elk,deer and antelope non-res ratio

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
general elk in wyoming is a throphy hunt now isnt it,,,takes 3+ points to have a chance??? l o l

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
at the moment the 90-10 talk is only on the "big 5",,but if it does go thru,you know the next attack will be on elk,deer and antelope non-res ratio
They are discussing deer, elk, and antelope as well. I just noticed it is added to the discussion.

Discussing "private landowner matters" is the most concerning language to me. Transferrable landowner tags would be bad for residents and non-residents alike. Hoping that is met with strong opposition.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I guess this thread shows why I get upset when Buzz wants to limit tags to non-residents. As a non-resident we are already limited quite a bit due to the wilderness area restrictions. Sure get a guide and nonresident can apply to those areas. For me I do not want a guide. Just not the same as doing it yourself. Even if money was not a consideration I would not want a guide. Wyoming can and will do what they want. I will play the game or I will not. The demand for tags is a good thing for the animals when all is said and done. Happy hunting to all.