Wyoming mule deer Unit 81 Blackhall Mt

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
As many of you may remember my son did his first antelope hunt at the age of 12 in Wyoming and loved the experience. The next year we applied for an elk tag and tried that but came up empty. After a couple years away he now has 4 points for deer in Wyoming and he is wanting to go back and try for a mule deer buck. Unit 81 has caught my eye and I would like to reach out and see if anyone on here has any advice on the unit. My son will try for the only license and if he draws I will be the chauffeur, money man for the tag / expenses, camp cook, meat packer (if the hunt gods smile down) and one self admitted very poor choice for a guide. I am thinking we can tent camp at Hog Park or along a forest road my main concern is that I know nothing about mule deer and what their habits are in that area or even where to start looking. Any advice would be appreciated, via pm or as a reply in the forum here. Thanks Kevin.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Mike?s newest book on mule deer is probably a great start. Covers every type of mule deer country.

Next up, I have never hunted 81. That said, isolate blocks of country with cover, feed and low human access. That is your most likely location to find deer.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Have you considered any other areas, like across the highway. Good bucks are coming out of that area, you don't need the wilderness to get them.
81 is not a bad area. Saratoga is right up the road for nice fishing spots after the hunt, hot spring soaking pool,good food and warm lodging.
Good luck with his draw and hunt!

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
Thanks for the pm's guys and your post / pm wy tex!!! I have enough info from you guys and the biologist that my son will put in for the tag and see if he draws. If anyone reading this has had this tag or elk hunted in 81 would like to pm me with advice or your thoughts about the unit and muleys please do I would appreciate any advice / help I can get. Thanks again, Kevin.