Wyoming moose points

bdjmtn

Jan 5, 2013
Michigan
I have 8 moose points for Wyoming. Is it worth to pay for my 9th point and keep applying or am I in a never never land. Thanks

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
You'll have to look at point holders in front of you, how long you can reasonably apply, make assumptions about future tag numbers and hunter behavior at buying points/applying. But I suspect your initial premise is correct, you are likely in never never land, but that is an off the cuff guess. I'd look hard at ID and Canadian moose hunts, vs. WY. The fact you have 8 points could lure you into something statistically unlikey in your life time, unless you crunch the numbers yourself. If we had some idea of how much longer you had to apply, aka your age, it may help point you towards a solution.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
I fixed up an excell sheet a while back for my sheep and moose points for Wyoming. If tag numbers stay the same (they won't), a lot of people with more points than me kick the bucket (sorry guys), and if I get real lucky, I could statistically be drawn for a tag sometime in my seventies(it's a very small chance). I am currently 32. Of course you could get lucky and get a tag on the random draw, I hope I do one day. Basically, I look at buying those points as donating to charity, and MAYBE in my retirement years I might get to stomp around in the hills chasing moose and sheep. 50+ points to draw out for me, may the odds be ever in your favor.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I guess it comes down to if you're a glass half empty or half full guy. The first year I applied (before there was a point system) I drew a tag in the random draw. I've personally drawn the tag twice and am planning to hunt them one more time. I currently have 2 points and expect to draw my next tag when I'm in my seventies. My dad killed a booner last year at age eighty so I know a hunt in my seventies is doable. This year most tags for nonresidents were given to those with about 14 points which was 5 points below max. and none required the max points. To me, that says a lot about future draw odds.

Applying in Idaho will cost you $154.75 for a nonrefundable license fee every year and a hunt in Canada requires hiring an outfitter and they don't have Shiras moose if that's what you're after.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Plenty of Shiras in Canada, both BC and Alberta have good populations. WY points used to be $7.50 a point, now $75.00 for Moose, $100 for sheep I think, which with the tag costs really changed everything as far as deciding to play the WY point game for low and no point holders. So points are not free or low cost in WY, nor is the tag. Random Moose draw odds in ID are usually much better than WY, last I looked Moose tag costs in CA were much lower (300 Canadian or so in Alberts as I recall). I'd do like Dark Mavis did, do the math, compare the costs, pick a path and stick with it.

From a numbers perspective, your age, tag numbers, costs, number of points you hold, and how many are in front of you will really impact the best strategy. For example, lets say applying in ID units with much higher odds would be the most cost effective right now, but if lots of people start doing that, everything changes. Possibly sticking out in WY could be the best most cost effective path, then tag numbers are cut in half and it no longer pencils out. So the best strategy is usually one that has several paths to a tag, if you can afford it. Then there is the lottery strategy, you have to play to win idea, someone has to be that lucky guy in the random draw...

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I think the one thing to consider that hasn't been mentioned is that Wyoming will likely change their system down the road. If you stay the course you will likely draw in the next 20 years unless you are going for a premium area. If your goal is just a bull moose permit you may draw in the next 10 years in a less than desirable area. As mentioned above, Canadian hunts are looking more and more like the solution for those of us that want to get it done without waiting forever.

30Hart

Aug 30, 2012
Utah
Since you are already invested w/ 8 points...I'd stay in. Remember, Wyoming's moose population declined but its now starting to head in the right direction. If it gets to where it was before, moose tags turned over about every 10 years. Its still a gamble, but you'll kick yourself if you play it wrong. I took a Boone Crockett moose in Wyoming in 2013 and I had 12 points.