Wyoming moose hunting

Redbirdsjdb

May 29, 2012
Omaha
I had the good fortune of drawing a moose tag in unit 38 in Wyoming (Snowy Range). Anyone have any experience hunting moose in the Snowy Range? Any recomendations on areas to focus my hunt.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
You've drawn a great tag. I hunted deer in the snowies last year and saw 7 bulls 5 of which were along hwy 130 west of Brooklyn lake road. He's right though I also saw 2 other young bulls hot footing it in a darinage to some beaver dams/ wetlands. It's amazing how fast these animals can move. Of the 7 bulls 2 were definetly shooters. As they all say put your time in scouting and it should payoff big time. Sneaky Pete

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
I spend a lot of time in the Snowies...hunting, ATVing, snowmobiling, hiking, etc. In my opinion, the best moose population is in the south end. If I had a moose license, I would start in and around Douglas Creek, Pelton Creek and Fox Park. I would drive the back roads with my ATV, and I would stop and talk to everybody I saw to ask them if they had seen moose. I would also do some walking, but covering a lot of ground in the morning and evening is important. Good luck!

Redbirdsjdb

May 29, 2012
Omaha
thanks

Appreciate the comments, intend to do some scouting late summer/early fall. I received the same advice from others about visiting with campers and other hunters regarding moose sightings. Any recommendations on good campsites not terribly far off of HWY 130, would be nice to have water but not necessary.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Redbirdsjdb...I just hunted deer there last year and know exactly where we saw several bulls. Be picky, there are a LOT of bull moose in there. I applied for Unit 38 for moose this year after what we saw there. I can also give you leads on some campgrounds. Send me a PM (personal message) and if you'd like we can set up a call.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
When we hunted the snowies last year we stayed at Mountain Meadow Cabin's , check it out on the intenet. Something like $75 a night and all you'll need is food and your sleeping bag, or use the sheets on the bed and your gear of course. There is campgrounds on brooklyn lake rd. This place worked out well for us. We didn't have to bring all the camping gear etc. I'll try to get more information on some of the different areas we saw the moose.

Sneakypete

Ilovethewest

Jul 11, 2012
Wisconsin
Hey Guys! doing some research for my uncle and cousin. My uncle is older, later 50's. My cousin has some physical limitations due to an accident he had a few years back. anyways........they both have 11 preference points for Moose in Wyoming. There were going to hunt on a ranch by Afton/Thayne along the Idaho border........but the rancher said the moose have been decimated by the wolves, and the pop is way down on his ranch.

So they are looking at alternative areas. Due to money constraints, a full guided trip is out of the picture......but they were wondering about possibly a drop camp or even someone to hire if they do get a moose to help get it out. Plus........with their first choice of an area not the best right now, any other suggestions? I see people talking about the Snowy range, which I believe is in the Medicine Bow NF.

any other suggestions???? They are pretty much game for anywhere in wyoming.

any suggestions for an areas and/or dropcamp outfitter will be appreciated. They are too late this year of course, but they would like to send in for next fall and want to start planning early.

Thanks!

Luke

Redbirdsjdb

May 29, 2012
Omaha
Thanks to all that posted, UMPQUA HUNTER, cool area where you hunted. Happy to report that moose on ice, shot a nice bull in the Snowy's 2 weeks ago. Scouted the area over Labor Day weekend and learned alot, and met some fellow hunters on vacation and bow elk hunting that provided a lot of helpful information, Wyoming residents, really super folks. Hunted with a buddy and found a nice bull on the second day of the hunt. As a non-resident, this was a hunt of a lifetime, as I will not live long enough to draw this tag again. Anyone fortunate enough to draw this tag should do all they can to make the most of it, these are magnificent animals and truly a treasure and a testament to excellent game management by WY Fish and Game. Happy hunting!

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
Congrats on your hunt! You got one heck of a trophy. Interestingly enough, I'm currently eating a moose taco as I read this thread. My father-in-law also killed a bull in 38 this year. I can't wait until it's my turn.

Redbirdsjdb

May 29, 2012
Omaha
redbirdsjdb

Congrats on your hunt! You got one heck of a trophy. Interestingly enough, I'm currently eating a moose taco as I read this thread. My father-in-law also killed a bull in 38 this year. I can't wait until it's my turn.
Don't know my how your father in laws moose turned out but mine is excellent, as good as any elk as I have eaten. I hope his experience in Unit 38 was as good as mine, the Snowy Range rocks! Sad to see all the dead pine trees, unfortunately will probably be one heck of a bad fire one of these years with all the dead falls.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Very cool moose. They are great animals to hunt. I haven't had the luck to draw a tag yet but I hope I will some day. Congrats