Wyoming General deer tags

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I was just curious about how the distribution of the resident general deer tags work out. Specifically, does the state monitor the numbers of residents that end up hunting in each general unit. The state can control hunting pressure by limiting NR numbers per unit, but can't do so with an OTC tag. The reason I was asking is that I likely have the points for a G tag, but with all the hype for G, I suspect there will be much higher resident numbers in G rather than H. Also, is a resident "general" tag limited to a specific unit?
This isn't a resident VS: NR post; I'm just trying to get a handle on hunting pressure in areas where I may apply.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Go_deep is right. Residents can go anywhere they want with a general tag. The only info that I know of that the G and F uses to monitor hunter numbers is the harvest surveys and reports from tags coming in to tell how many hunters use the general tag in a specific area. The good thing about that area is that it is one of the least populated areas in the state and many (not all) residents will stay closer to home to hunt deer. Most of the elk units over there are general also, but I think you can get a general feel for some of the ones listed in the elk hunter/mi^2 from the last MRS.

So short answer its really hard telling with a general unit and there aren't good numbers you just have to go with other people's opinions on how much pressure there has been in the past. I have gone late season elk hunting in that area recently, so I am probably of no further use, lol. Well good luck, both areas are really cool areas.

Last edited:

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
This is the exact reason my group hasn't put in for region G. From what I've found they (WY) does not, or possibly can not, monitor where the residents are hunting with their over the counter tags. I guess they can get a sample from the residents that return their survey cards. But I can't find anything that says X amount of residents are hunting region (fill in the blank) on their OTC tags.

I'll add that I would love to hunt region G or region H for the experience. But I can't hire a guide, don't have horses, and I'm afraid that we couldn't get away from the crowds.

Last edited:

laxwyo

Very Active Member
Many of the early deer hunts are empty during the first week of October because of the other units that open in October.

Opening weekend is always bad, but g and h are September openings for the most part. Second week and the October portions of these hunts are a lot more quiet

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I hunted General Tag N/R H this past fall and saw only 2 guys (together) in 6 days off the grid.
I hiked in 6 miles, setup camp and hunted between camp and +1 more mile in. I would have been very tough to get a horse to here I was camping and no ATV would have made it either. I saw 20-30 bucks and dozens of doe during my hunt.
Work harder than the rest and you will be successful. I'd never been to this area, but spend a lot of time pouring over maps and preparing physically and mentally for the trip. And yes, I just had to shoot my buck +1 miles from camp. lol 65lb in and 145lb out. Toughest yet most rewarding work I've ever done.
Now get after it! :)

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Thanks all for the info. I do have an area in H that I am comfortable with. It's only 3 miles back in, but after climbing a cliff that no pack animal can get through, we were all alone and the hunting was good. I agree with Bonecollector; the heavier the pack out, the more memorable the trip. This would likely be my only chance for a G tag, so was just looking at options.

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
This is the exact reason my group hasn't put in for region G. From what I've found they (WY) does not, or possibly can not, monitor where the residents are hunting with their over the counter tags. I guess they can get a sample from the residents that return their survey cards. But I can't find anything that says X amount of residents are hunting region (fill in the blank) on their OTC tags.

I'll add that I would love to hunt region G or region H for the experience. But I can't hire a guide, don't have horses, and I'm afraid that we couldn't get away from the crowds.
If you go in October there will be very few people. Actually anytime after the first week there are a lot less people. Sometimes the weekends can still get a little crowed but during the week there will be very few people.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Former long time Wyoming resident here. 99% of the hunters I know stayed close to home for deer. It was a rare day that someone I knew traveled any real distance to hunt deer. On top of that, most of the hunters stayed within 1/2 mile of a road or just road hunted. If you follow the above advice and hunt after opening weekend, and get 1+ miles from a road, you will see very few other hunters. Most residents view deer as a warm up for elk... not real serious about it. I'm sure the guys on this site are a slightly different breed but they are a tiny % of the mass that buys a general deer tag.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Former long time Wyoming resident here. 99% of the hunters I know stayed close to home for deer. It was a rare day that someone I knew traveled any real distance to hunt deer.
Except for all those 4 County plates that invaded every fall. :p That is pretty local, I just had to give those guys some trouble because now that I have 17 county plates I get the same trouble from Buffalo and Sundance guys. Oh great another triple C-S er coming through. Hide the women and children.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Except for all those 4 County plates that invaded every fall. :p That is pretty local, I just had to give those guys some trouble because now that I have 17 county plates I get the same trouble from Buffalo and Sundance guys. Oh great another triple C-S er coming through. Hide the women and children.
We used to feel that way about all the Cheyenne guys coming over to the Snowy Range...lol. When I was young I didn't understand they didn't have a decent location any closer. Anyone other than a 5 county plate was an intruder lol.

okielite

Banned
Jul 30, 2014
NW Nebraska
Good stuff there.

Pretty sure Gillette and Rawlins are the 2 biggest dumps in Wyoming. With all the gypsy oilfield trash from OK and TX along with the local trash both towns are just a mess.

Boehunter

Mar 26, 2014
Wyoming
Gillette aint so bad and its still in wyoming which means i get an over the counter deer, elk, two antelope buck tags, bear, mountain lion, and turkey tag! not to mention i can easily draw late season whitetail tags and cow elk tags every year! what say you and your state?