Wyoming Family Hunt

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I took my wife and son out with me to camp, call elk, and hunt a doe antelope- the only tag I drew this year in Wyoming. We spent the first day trying to call elk in but the action was slow. We did get one bull talking but couldn't budge him off his cows and we had little light left to pursue. It was still a fun experience as my 10 year old got to run a cow call and see how we like to set up. No elk action to mention over the next couple days but my son had a great time catching brook trout. They are beautiful this time of year... and delicious!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The antelope hunt was one of the tougher ones I have experienced. We spent the first couple hours of the day trying to locate a doe in a easy to get to location but none were within 1/2 mile of a road. We finally decided we were going to have to make a long stalk and pack one out. When I was younger, I never would have done that simply because it was "too much work" for a doe. Times and hunting pressure have really changed things...

We settled on a small herd that we felt was in a good position to allow for my 10 year old to tag along. My little guy kept up well and followed my lead with little instruction. We got within 40 yards but the sage was too high for a shot. They does knew something was wrong but only ran a little ways out and stopped- presenting a great shot at 200 yards.

She was more work than I am used to but the hunt was a lot of fun. In the end, this was a lot better than finding one by the road.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Congratulations!
I've always said that I'd rather hike like crazy, fill my tag, spend a day packing, then drive around hoping for a gimmie along the road. Way more fun to me!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Sigpros, no this wasn't my normal area. I have hunted this area before for does though. It's too tough to draw doe tags where I like to hunt. This area does have a lot of public land and typically plenty of antelope though. Hunting 1 week after the opener didn't do me any favors.

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Hilltop, it looks like hunting Wyoming every year is about to be a thing of the past. It sure is getting tough to figure out a draw strategy for the non resident. Looks like you had a great hunt.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Hilltop, it looks like hunting Wyoming every year is about to be a thing of the past. It sure is getting tough to figure out a draw strategy for the non resident. Looks like you had a great hunt.
Agreed- It wasn't that long ago a guy could just buy leftover doe tags in areas with a gob of public land. Gets tougher every year. I'm thinking I need to re-visit a Wyoming retirement plan.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
This was last year - thread got bumped by a spam post that is now deleted.

Sad to look at these pictures honestly. The entire area has burned in the Mullen fire. Glad I got my son out there before that happened.

Reactions: Bonecollector