Wyoming elk unit 38

brdhuntr

Feb 17, 2016
Eagle Idaho
I'm looking for info. on 38 for 2017. I want to get out of the points game,and i'm sitting on 8 points. i s there a lot of private land compared to public,and do you need horses.Thank you..

PlainsHunter

Feb 29, 2012
Central MN
You may want to go to mytopo.com and look at the public vs. private land in the unit. I've never been there so I don't have first hand experience.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
The map features on the Wyoming G&F site will show you everything you want to know about public verse private.
The needing horses question is up to you, how much work do you want to do, and where/what kind of camp do you want?

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Tons of public land on that unit, lots of road access. Horses not needed in most of the unit, could help in a couple of the nasty canyons or line someone up if needed. That said, you don't need to go there to kill something.

Are you looking to gun or bow hunt that unit?

brdhuntr

Feb 17, 2016
Eagle Idaho
Don, thanks for the info. i would be rifle hunting. Iv'e hunted units 102 ad 48 for cows,but looking for some where new,and want to get out of the points race,and thought about a bull in 38. Does anyone know what the chances of killing a 300 bull or better are. Thanks..

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I hunted that unit with my bow and the elk are spread out much better than gun season. I talked to a guy that rifle hunted it and it was a much tougher of a hunt as the elk are more grouped up, and the people are grouped up hunting them. 300 was doable on the archery hunt, maybe someone that has gun hunted it can help you more than me. Weather (snow) can be a issue there as well as the year I hunted it the last week or archery they received 14 inches of snow and it closed a bunch of roads.

Wyelkhntr

Mar 14, 2014
Wy
I spend a ton of time up there. Archery is very good rifle is tough. If u do decide to hunt it, hunt the canyons. (Little horn , tongue, Boyd ridge Is also good)a lot of the Bulls bail off the mountain onto private during rifle season. If it were me I'd put in for area 40. The Bulls tent to stay on the mountain longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk