Wyoming Deer Unit 117

jwix

Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Anyone got info or history on Wyoming Deer Unit 117? Biologist said Unit 119 was the best area in his region, but I don't have enough points to draw (according to last years statistics). With point creep, I'm just checking all options. Last week I thought point creep was like global warming just a figment of someone's imagination to justify their existence (as we recieved another 14"s of snow and the thermometer dropped to single digits), but this week I have realized point creep acutually is true and it's the black hole... Setting on 6 points feels like no mans land....:confused: 2 years behind the point curve.

I'm starting to think Idaho has the right idea on not implementing a preference point system, odds may be slim, but at least everyone has an opportunity to draw...

Looks like we'll probably end up using 6 prefernce points to draw Region G, maybe not a bad option...

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
Seems like a lot of points to burn on a general tag. You could draw units 34 or 84. A good amount of land/access and a high success % for either unit!

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Seems like a lot of points to burn on a general tag. You could draw units 34 or 84. A good amount of land/access and a high success % for either unit!
***Region G took more than than 3PPs for a 100% draw last year and will probably take 4 this year, whereas the other two units took more like you mentioned. However, Region G is noted as the best area in Wyoming for a good chance at a trophy buck and it has a lot more area to hunt that going with any one LQ unit. Success rates is a rather last resort way to pick a place to hunt IMHO unless you're satisfied with killing any legal animal. If a guy is willing to get out and find the smaller pockets in Region G that hold good deer, he can get away from crowds even though it's a general tag area for the residents.

jwix

Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Thanks for the headsup on Units 34 and 84, hadn't really done much research on them. Checked them out on Google Earth, the terrain looks open, we want to do more of a higher elevation hunt I am pretty sure. Quite a quandry, but I do appreciate the feedback.

Talked to more biologists and from what I am getting, the info in the MRS is accurate...

Having a chance at a trophy buck is always one of the goals of a hunt, that being said, at my age the quality of the hunt is just as high on the priorty list. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just into backpacking, I want to shoot a decent buck if you know what I mean. It does seem that Region G offers the opportunity, if you are willing to work a little, to have a quality hunt in a beautiful setting.

Beginning to ramble, I'll sign off for now, again thanks for the feedback...

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
If 84 is the unit Im thinking of its a checkerboard of public/private land and access is an issue. One of the biggest things to consider in WY is access IMO.

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
If you don't have max pts apply for region g. It's easy to kill a small buck in g and if you have good bino's and know how to use them you will have a chance at a 170+ buck.

jwix

Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
We don't have max points and never will as stated before. Have drawn a good tag here in Idaho in 2011 and last year my grandson drew the same tag. We have experience with glassing and spotting and are not afraid to get off the beaten path... I'm pretty sure we will be applying for Region G early season.

Brady 1st touch.jpg DSCF1475.jpg 11 11 12 Mule Deer 04.jpg

My grandson's buck was a 30 in. wide old buck, not deep forks, but an awesome deer, these deer were shot 2 years apart in the same area. I shot mine on the last day of a 9 day hunt, missed a couple of deer which were much larger, great for Idaho...

Last edited:

Ultramagg

Jul 11, 2012
Cody, WY
thats a good point Elkoholic, it seemed like the thread go off topic and not sure the original post had his questions answered. I have spent some time in 117, on both foot and horseback. Its a very tough hunt. There is a lot of wilderness which is hard for a non-res. the September 15 season would normally mean decent weather up high, but wasnt the case last year. It completely depends on how hard a person hunts or how much scouting they do because the deer arent moving much so far ahead of rut. There are many great units around that catch the first part of the rut that it makes 117 seem even harder. Another point is the people. because its a September season you are overlapping 4 seasons. You may see hunters in the same area for area 5 sheep, 110 antelope, archery 62 & 63 elk are all going on at the same time and can make it frustrating. How big of buck are you looking for and how high are you willing to go?

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
The biggest deer my dad and I have ever seen have been in 117. He saw a massive double drop tine buck several years ago while elk hunting. I saw a single dropper buck two years ago while elk hunting. That leads me to believe the genetics are good there. We haven't seen a lot of deer but the ones we have were really big. I'm only considering applying for it if my dad draws sheep though. Even then, I'm not sure if I really want to because if he tagged out before deer season opened I wouldn't be inclined to go back.