Wyoming area 78

dlotto28

Jul 1, 2018
I drew a Wyoming area 78 muley tag and since our hospital has decided nobody can take vacation for a few months I won't be able to get up there until the second weekend of the season. I have been to the area once, but I am wondering if anyone has some pointers?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
78 can be challenging for a non-resident as it has a lot of wilderness but there are deer to be had off the wilderness. Wy-tex likely has some good pointers for you- I would listen to his advice. Good luck!

hoshour

Veteran member
Tough area with some potential, but still too many tags given out. You can divide the unit into four zones from east to west - NFS timber, steep wilderness canyon, rolling hills BLM and then flat mix of BLM and private. Guess where all the pressure is?

I hunted it a few years ago as a second choice tag, mainly scouted the rolling hills BLM before the season and planned to hunt the BLM adjacent to the extremely steep canyon. I had a ridiculous amount of human company when the season rolled around. Sitting high in the predawn darkness, I saw truck headlights on the move everywhere.

I only had time for a brief hunt and saw plenty of bucks but not one I wanted to shoot. The area has a reputation for 3x3s and the best buck I saw would have been pretty nice if he'd had another point on each side. He was bedded under a small pine with rimrock behind him. I passed on him.

If I were to hunt it again, I'd spend a lot of time scouting the NFS, especially higher elevations and maybe some of the tougher BLM..

Last edited:

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
That last bit is pretty good advice. The bigger deer are mostly holed up that time of the year, often in secluded spots on the NF. You might catch a big one in the lower country, especially near private, but not likely? Best get across the river and get after it looking for an out of the way spot to watch morning and evening. Pay attention to tracks. Watch for changes in movement closer to the elk hunt as people move in.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Must be some reason the resident odds have only increased last few years, good bucks to be found.
Watch the weather and hunt according to what it tells you.