Wyoming Antelope with 6 points

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
Well, I pulled the plug and am trying to burn 6 antelope points on area 83. Game warden tells me its not known for trophy quality, but does have some nice goats in it.
looking forward to drawing this tag (hopefully). Seems to have a bunch of BLM land, so access doesn't seem to difficult. It seems as though I'm fairly excited. I don't even have a tag in my pocket and have bought a new rifle, scope and range finder all since I applied for tags last week. Don't forget the hotel room that I have already secured. My wife is just asking me not to start putting my hunting clothes out on the couch quite yet.

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
Why that unit? I did quite a bit of research on the Wyo. game and fish web site and just came up with 83 after looking at several units with 100% draw with 5 points last yr. add point creep and I figured with 6 I would more that likely draw. I realize I could find a better unit, but I bet if drawn I'm going to have a hell of a fun time. I'm hopefully drawing a couple mule deer doe tags to add to the meat haul back to Washington. But the sound of sitting in a hot spring doesn't sound half bad. Might need to check that out.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Why that unit? I did quite a bit of research on the Wyo. game and fish web site and just came up with 83 after looking at several units with 100% draw with 5 points last yr. add point creep and I figured with 6 I would more that likely draw. I realize I could find a better unit, but I bet if drawn I'm going to have a hell of a fun time. I'm hopefully drawing a couple mule deer doe tags to add to the meat haul back to Washington. But the sound of sitting in a hot spring doesn't sound half bad. Might need to check that out.
Sounds to me like you made the right choice. Having fun is what it's all about.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I saw a few really nice lope bucks in 83 last year. Be sure to get get a couple 83 type 7 tags also. not type 6.... There are plenty of landowners that will let you hunt their property. Check out the landowner list. Also look at whitetail doe tags for area 120.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Yes, I believe it is Owl Cr. Or at least part there of.
It is hard to have a bad antelope in Wyoming as long as you have adequate access. With your points there are units with better trophy potential, but that is totally up to you. Several of those better units might require stepping up to the Special tag though. One thing I would recommend is to not hunt the opening week. Our most fun Wyoming antelope hunts have been arriving a couple weeks into the season. You have tons of antelope still to hunt and the place virtually to yourself.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I've never been there but I want to hunt it for elk. I don't have the patience to wait 10 more years though lol. I hope you have a great hunt and I second what UH said about waiting until later vs the opener. I've only been on 1 lope hunt but I saw fewer than 10 hunters in 2 different units over a 5 day period.

Good Luck!

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
I will arrive a week after the start of the season. I wont miss all of the hunters, but the initial push should be over. I decided not to pay for the special draw, so my choices with 6 points were not as plentiful.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Totally agree with not hunting opening week. I have always hunted late in the antelope season because I usually hunt deer too and it opens just after antelope closes. This year I'll hunt the last few days for a doe (maybe 2) antelope just before deer season starts.

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
As mentioned, i'm pretty excited. My wife prefers mule deer to antelope, so I put in for a couple muley doe tags in 125. Already talked to a land owner that says if I draw to let him know and he would let me whack a couple on his place. Should be fatty's eating his alfalfa. I think I should be able to scratch out a 15" antelope out of 83. That's what I would like to hold out for. A solid representative of the species. I have a brother in law that loves hunting, but hasn't got out in yrs. He is also putting in for a couple doe tags and will go with me. If all is drawn, we should have a pile of memories.

chopperz

Jan 27, 2014
I saw a few really nice lope bucks in 83 last year. Be sure to get get a couple 83 type 7 tags also. not type 6.... There are plenty of landowners that will let you hunt their property. Check out the landowner list. Also look at whitetail doe tags for area 120.
So u just apply for these doe tags as second choice? Whats diff between type 6 and 7?

HogsFly

Apr 8, 2018
Parker, Colorado
Keep us posted on how 83 turns out. My stepfather and I chose that unit too. I'm planning two trips up there this year to poke around and do a little scouting. Good luck!

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Type 6 and 7 are additional doe/fawn tags and a separate drawing from the type 1 and type 2 any antelope tags. No PP needed for type 6 or 7 and the draw is random.

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
Well, I hope this tag is secured soon. All it is doing is costing me money waiting to find out. Yesterday I purchased a (new to me) truck. I did need it, cuz my 03 Super Duty with 253000 was a bottomless money pit. As often as it broke, I needed to replace it. The possible hunt just expedited it. I was thinking I should just rent a truck to go on the Wyoming trip to make sure I wasn't broke down somewhere between home and Wyoming (1000 ish miles each way). I found a 2014 3.5 ecoboost f-150 with 21000 on it for a heck of a deal and gave the wife my best sales pitch. We drove to Spokane (400 miles) and picked it up yesterday. Other than a few possible clothing items, I'm running out of things to buy for this trip. Come on June!!!!!