Wyoming 2017 Antelope DIY

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
New to the website/ forum, although I have been reading on here for some time. I have had the itch to hunt out West for the past couple of years. It has always been antelope and it has always been Wyoming.

So for 2 years I have prepared. I bought a Weatherby (Wasnt necessary but I Love that gun), talked to retired outfitters, searched landowners and Walk In Areas/Access Yes all that Jazz, combed the internet, downloaded unit maps - topo maps - BLM/State land maps, read this forum, google earth, calculated costs, convinced my wife ;) (which was relatively easy, lol) and I think I am back where I started, or I might as well be.

Here's my problem. I'm probably over-thinking this but from TN to WY is a long way and 3K is a lot of money. I purchased a preference point this year (should've done that 2 years ago), so next year I will have (1) in the drawing.

I would like to save this point to build up for UNIT 63, 58, or 57 and I understand how the draw works. As a non-resident you should always make the first choice of the three the hardest unit to obtain that you want to hunt. So, if I'm putting 63 down as my first choice (because I want to load up my points and eventually hunt 63) what should I make my second and 3rd choices.

I read the horror stories of unit 25, know all about it, also looked at unit 10 just not much there and the Hunter Management Area there is a draw on the freaking permission slip! (Jimminey Cricket is there some kind of gambling addiction with the Game and Fish guys, I mean honestly?) Was thinking about 73 as well but I feel like I would have to put it as my first choice to draw and I don't necessarily want to burn the point unless I can shoot a decent buck.

I guess what I'm getting at is WHAT AM I DOING???!!! No really, what units should I put on my second and third choices that will allow me to draw a tag and still have an reasonable opportunity to take an antelope.

I don't plan on camping, I will be trying to find a hotel.

Are tire chains really a necessity?

Oh I will be hunting by myself as well because all my hunting buddies "friends" are too lame to try something new.

Any input here is very much appreciated. I really don't want to drive 1300 miles and bust.

Last edited:

hoshour

Veteran member
Welcome to the forum.

However, that's a lot of questions for a first post. Please go to the new members section and introduce yourself and please put some line breaks in your posts. One long, solid paragraph is really hard on the eyes.

The only reason to put down the best hunt as your first choice when you have fewer preference points than it requires is for the small chance of drawing it in the random draw.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
that's a lot of questions for a first post.
Ha, that's what I was thinking too hoshour.

Welcome to the forum. Obviously you've done some research and have a pretty good idea of what's going on. Go and look for some similar threads to this in the WY and antelope sections. This subject had come up a million times for Wyoming. And like hoshour said, shorten up your post and make a better list of questions.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Hey I understand your post. This can be a tough crowd. I have been and am still right where you are. A lot of these guys do not understand the dreams in our heads and the distance from it. You can't just take a weekend trip to look over areas. I don't even think you can fly form Arkansas to Wyoming. It will cost you about $2,000 total if you do.

I will be out there fall of 2017. A DIY hunt is just what it is. Don't count on getting much help. Do your own research and hunt hard when you get to make a trip. Make the best of it. That is what I plan to do.

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
Hey I understand your post. This can be a tough crowd. I have been and am still right where you are. A lot of these guys do not understand the dreams in our heads and the distance from it. You can't just take a weekend trip to look over areas. I don't even think you can fly form Arkansas to Wyoming. It will cost you about $2,000 total if you do.

I will be out there fall of 2017. A DIY hunt is just what it is. Don't count on getting much help. Do your own research and hunt hard when you get to make a trip. Make the best of it. That is what I plan to do.
Ahhh its alright. Just kind of wanted to cut to chase you know? I actually have read several pages and threads from this forum on topics relevant to my situation. But like you said its different for east coast people, we get a little overwhelmed.

I'm definitely going next fall I kind of thought that I was on my own which is fine. I just wanted to be thoroughly prepared and not screw up a trip like this because they don't come around that often. Already busted in Canada on a guided hunt (still a cool trip though).

mtncowboy

May 10, 2014
WY
Howdy steveokanevo and welcome to the site. I can't answer your all your questions, but here is some input that should help.
Put in for area 63 as a first choice area. For your second choice, if you want to hunt goats and maintain your points, choose an area that has leftover tags every year. By doing this you should be able to build points and hunt. The areas with %100 draw odds normally don't offer as good as hunting as the other areas, but it should be possible to find antelope on all of the units. You will learn a lot by hunting the lesser areas while gaining points, and then when you do draw your desired area you will not be a first time antelope hunter and will have experience that will help you. As far as tire chains, most of the time I don't use them, but if a bad storm hits then you will have to decide whether you want to continue hunting, in which case they are a lifesaver, or kick back in the motel and wait for better weather. Sometimes you run into frustrations while trying to plan a hunt, but in the end planning helps a ton and helps the hunt go much better. If your dream is to hunt antelope, stay positive and keep planning and working toward the goal, one day it will work out and your will fulfill your dream! Good luck.

You probably should plan to build points for a good Wyoming public land hunt. Since cost associated with the trip are a big factor I wouldn't spend the $ on any hunt that can be drawn with 0 or a very low number of points whatever the choice. Best to build the points to where you're competitive in the draw to get a decent "Green Chip" unit. Of the units you mention 73 would be my pick as "good bucks" are available and lot's of public land. Drawback would be you'd need to probably stay in Casper if you want to motel it which would require a bit of a drive each day to the unit. Positive would be it shouldn't take but a day or two to harvest a "good, representative buck in the low 70's for score."

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
See I was curious if all those two tracks and dirt roads were really that bad to require chains. That is exactly the answer I needed on the tire chains. Thank you very much.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
I am confused. Is this a one time hunt or are you looking to hunt Wyoming leftover units while you wait to draw a good unit?
If it is the former then I would look at units you can draw with one point, you can also go one point and special draw.
If you are point building and want to hunt a leftover unit, it is doable. And you can kill an antelope in almost if not every unit in Wyoming.
Plenty of old posts on leftover units.
I have done 4 DIY hunts while building points and everyone tagged out on all hunts.I took all newbies on all the hunts. Nephews and friends.
Wyoming DIY antelope hunts are a blast and addictive!

As an aside my wife are moving to Tenn, you duck hunt?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
You may want to consider hunting does for a year or two. Area 32 next door to 63 was 100% draw for doe tags last year. That would allow you to hunt for antelope and be close enough to start scouting 63 once the doe tags were full. Just a thought. You are looking at 4-8 years to draw 63 depending on what point creep is like.

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
I am confused. Is this a one time hunt or are you looking to hunt Wyoming leftover units while you wait to draw a good unit?
If it is the former then I would look at units you can draw with one point, you can also go one point and special draw.
If you are point building and want to hunt a leftover unit, it is doable. And you can kill an antelope in almost if not every unit in Wyoming.
Plenty of old posts on leftover units.
I have done 4 DIY hunts while building points and everyone tagged out on all hunts.I took all newbies on all the hunts. Nephews and friends.
Wyoming DIY antelope hunts are a blast and addictive!

As an aside my wife are moving to Tenn, you duck hunt?
Yes I do lol. Have for around 19 years and its been pretty sparse the last couple. The first and last day of season are always the best. Let me know if you have any questions regarding my part of the country. I am glad to help any way I can!

What units did you do left over hunts in?

I will try and search that in the forums Thanks!!

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I hunted Wyoming for the first time last year for antelope. Truthfully, it was not as bad as I anticipated. I hunted 63 for bucks and then picked up a couple left over tags for 22. If you want to build up points for a future buck hunt then definitely put your hard unit as 1st choice. As for a 2nd choice....I would look at this years draw results and apply for a unit that had left over tags after last years draw.

I would use a combo of maps including the Gazeteer, GPS chip, and something like a hunt unit map from mytopo.com. Your biggest issue with the left over tags will be access. Not all roads are public. This is where your research will help you. Research and Highlight the public roads before you leave. This will make your hunt a lot easier. As for finding antelope....they are all over. You just have to find them. Don't forget to get out of your truck and walk a bit. Too many hunters drive around all day and see nothing. Walking over the first rise is all that is needed sometimes.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I wouldn't look at just leftover units. I would dig deeper into the random draw reports and find some units that can be reliably drawn as 2nd or 3rd choice. This demand changes from year to year; mostly because of the # of buck tags rising and falling as a result of disease, drought, or population rebounds. Most of these units will have difficult but doable public access. If you are going that far why not just pony up the special tag price, as this will open up a lot more possibilities to draw a decent unit as 2nd choice.

Also I wouldn't chase the 57 or 58 units or you will in for a long wait if you don't get lucky in the random. 63 will be a much shorter wait.