Wy unit 12 elk

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
My rifle elk partner is coming out from the East Coast to help me with my Wyoming Elk Hunt.
This guy is backing me up for about 12 days then we will both hunt unit 23 in CO.
Pretty good hunting partner considering he doesn't even own a bow.
I suggested he pick up a cow tag in case we get done early. He was able to get a leftover unit 12 cow tag.
So if the last 5 days of archery and the first week of rifle is a success, then we will relocate to Medicine Bow.

If anyone is willing to share any low hanging info that my result in a decent hunt for my hunting partner I'd appreciate it.
I'll be happy to backfill with 2014 unit 24, or CO 23, info in return.

Good luck to all, it is just around the corner.:eek:

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
http://wgfd.wyo.gov/accessto/whmas/pennock.asp

I have heard that the elk come down into this area, but you have to time it right. An early big snow like last year and i think you might be in business. Carbon County Walk-in Area 7 is right at the SE Corner of this I think. The elk numbers in that general area have been good lately, too from what I have heard. It looks like you can access the NF from here, too. I haven't ever done it, though. The Platte around Saratoga is some of my favorite fishing in the state, especially in the fall. Not such great info, but that's all I got. It is pretty tempting to get a late season cow tag for down there. It seems like there usually are some left for there.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Thats a real good start.
I drove through last week the day after he locked down the tag.
It looks pretty good even though it is not much of a bull unit.
I suspect the general rules would apply, animals will be high until it snows.
Thanks

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I hunted near there, but not close enough to help with the hunting info, but when you are in Saratoga, make sure you hit the free Hobo Hot Springs. They were just remodeled a couple years ago. Also Belle's Bistro has some fantastic italian food.