WY tag price increases :(

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Sheep and moose points went up the max amount; $150 each.
They keep trying trying to weed out the nr suckers that'll never draw but the money keeps rolling in.
Nope they got me to drop out, I am no longer applying for sheep and moose points in WY.

May throw in for the random but that's just a lottery ticket.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
I feel sorry for the next generations.

As a blue collar working stiff, I was able to afford all the hunts I wanted to in my life. I was fortunate to hunt dall sheep, moose multiple times, caribou(5 times) elk multiple times, mulies multiple times, antelope 5 times, BC goat, etc......

There is no way my nephews will ever be able to duplicate those experiences. And that's sad.
We are heading the way of European hunting, only for the wealthy. And I believe it is only going to get worst.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Sheep and moose points went up the max amount; $150 each.
They keep trying trying to weed out the nr suckers that'll never draw but the money keeps rolling in.
Bob, I can't seem to find where this info is. I found recommendations (very small increase) that were to be discussed at a meeting but can't seem to find the final price increase for points. Someone post a link if you find it please. Thank you.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
The biggest thing that pi$$es me off is if they waited until just after the Preference Points had to be paid then they show us that the prices are going up. I would have saved my $.
We were talking about this back in April or May.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I'm sitting on max points (13) for a NR Deer Tag. I'll draw it this year and that will be the last for deer for me. I'll still apply and use points for antelope in Wy, but that will be it. I can draw a pretty decent deer tag here in Colorado every other year. I only hunt elk here now too.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Bob, I can't seem to find where this info is. I found recommendations (very small increase) that were to be discussed at a meeting but can't seem to find the final price increase for points. Someone post a link if you find it please. Thank you.
Last minute of the Sept Commission "morning" meeting youtube vid.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Nope they got me to drop out, I am no longer applying for sheep and moose points in WY.

May throw in for the random but that's just a lottery ticket.
Other than the random drawing (unless you got in early or are a resident) you'd be better served going North to plan your hunt; not sit at home wishful thinking into gradual debt and with no tangible result.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I would like to introduce him to some of the "very wealthy" people he referred to. What is this guy's name?

Last edited:

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
"because these are wealthy people"

I think I'm a little offended by that guy! Bet he won't get the million dollars in additional revenue that he thinks he will, either.

QQ
I bet he won't get it either. That figure was based on the number of people who purchased points last year at the old price. Sounds like he assumes everyone will stay in for the new point fee but there are plenty of not so wealthy points holders who will now stop buying points all together. If saving for AK didn't make sense before, it does now.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
They don't force anyone to buy anything. If you don't pony-up the dough for points and tags, there's a long line of guys with deep pockets who WILL buy them no matter how much they cost. That's a fact of hunting these days....pay to play.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
They don't force anyone to buy anything. If you don't pony-up the dough for points and tags, there's a long line of guys with deep pockets who WILL buy them no matter how much they cost. That's a fact of hunting these days....pay to play.
I think you are correct- they will still have a lot of people purchasing these but I have to think some will drop out. Right now, It looks like a person would need to accumulate 15-20 moose points to draw a bull tag (not considering point creep). This means a bull will cost a person north of 5k and take a good % of a person's life to draw it. That is basically the same price you pay to go shoot one in Canada right now. At least some hunters will do the math and choose to go North.