WY Sheep and Mtn Goat Tag in the same year....A Good Problem To Have?

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
Yes, the thread is correct, I have a very very very serious problem. I drew both a Bighorn Sheep tag for Area 22 AND a Mtn Goat tag for Area 1. Now of course the dilemma is which animal to hunt first and how much time to allow for each hunt. From the basic information I've got so far from the various hunters, outfitters, and the sheep biologist is that the Goat hunt shouldn't be terribly difficult to find animals but finding a nice Billie with a good coat in a good position to allow for a safe retrieval is the key. In reading the MRS section on the sheep area I was really excited however in talking to the biologist for this area, harvest was poor this last year and the number of mature rams calling this area home are down. One good thing is that WY is leaving some areas, including this area, open thru the end of October which should help bring some of the larger rams down from the high country. I also do have the ability to hunt in Area 5 all of October if need be.

Honestly guys I'm looking for some direction from anyone who has hunted goats in Area 1 or Sheep in Area 22/5. Again, what a thrill this fall is going to be. I haven't been able to sleep for 3 weeks, but some of that has to do with how sore I am from hitting the running trails and hills!

Thanks for any help anyone can lend!

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I don't care what other people say, that is a problem. A guy can only take so much time off of work and one of those tags requires a hunter to dedicate 100%. I hope you figure it out bud. Pass some of that luck this way would ya!

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I think I would embrace this "problem." Do what you have to in order to make it happen. Find a way to get the time. Spend the dough on the gas and sundries. Get into the best shape of your life. Invest in a camera and use it. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Congratulations.

Get in touch with as many previous tag holders as you can. People are more open with info on these premium tags, as they should be, given they won't be hunting it every year.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I hope you can beg borrow or steal enough time off work to make this come together for you. Sounds like you are getting in to shape to make the most of the opportunity. I hope you will get some great information to make for an thrilling, successful hunt. Sounds like your problem is one we all wish we had. Great job on the pull on your tags.

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Problem may not have been the right word but as I'm sure you can imagine, there is a great deal of stress that comes with one tag, let alone both at the same time.

I appreciate any and all help I could get here guys. With only about 2.5 weeks of vacation, a 20 month old little boy, and a very understanding and patient wife, you can imagine the little bit of pressure I'm feeling to get this done and do it right.

Thanks again!

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Wow...congrats. I think you definitely want to hunt Unit 5 in October. I wouldn't waste my days in Unit 22 if you are trying to conserve your days off. My son had a tag in Unit 5 in 2007 and I hunted there in 2009. We both got rams. There are a ton of rams in that unit. I sent you a PM. In fact my avatar is my Unit 5 ram.

The guy who knows that unit the best is Kevin Hurley. Kevin used to run the sheep program for Wyoming. He now works with the Foundation for Wild Sheep in Cody, Wyoming. Go to their website and click on "about" then click on "office staff" to get a link for how to contact Kevin.

Last edited:

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
Goats are definitely going to have better hair in later Oct. than in Sept. You're not going to hit either of their ruts so you don't have to factor that in. Personally, I would focus on the sheep first then use Oct. for the goat, assuming you want one with good hair.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
To the op, isn't it crazy how that works......you can go years without drawning a goat or ram tag and then BAM you get'em both in the same year. Good luck on your hunts

justinthedoc

Jul 15, 2011
Personally I would go after the sheep, you can get goat tags in other states way better chance of drawing, or buy a hunt... also not to say goats are easy, but they are easier to spot, and can be seen off the road with good optics early, you may not get a pig, but its better than nothing. LUCKY SOB

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
Wow I really wish I could help but I hope your boss is a serious hunter. Good luck cuz that is tough in a lot of ways to be that fortunate to draw those tags.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I assume you have max pts for sheep? You may be able to turn back in the sheep tag and keep your points and draw that sheep tag next year...

Worst case scenario you have to make a sheep hunt and goat hunt happen in the same year in WY.

Good luck!

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
I did NOT have max points for sheep. I was 1 short of max. After speaking with several outfitters, biologists, and hunters, I have elected to hire an outfitter for the Sheep hunt and do the Mtn Goat hunt on my own. My sheep hunt will primarily take place from October 5th thru the end of the month. I'm going to hit the Mtn Goat hunt hard from September 20th thru the 5th. I'd like to wait for the Goats to hair up a bit and most guys who've hunted this that I've talked to said from about the 20th-1st they really put on the best hair and finding the goats is pretty easy. I really appreciate all the replies and well wishes. Hopefully this fall I can post up some good pictures. Thanks again guys and anybody with any advice for hunting either area, its greatly appreciated!

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
One down.......one to go!!! Harvested an 8.5" x 5.25" Billy middle of September. Sheep Hunting is going to start in a couple weeks. Can't wait to go after a ram!