WY RP cow elk ?

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
I tried for the 12-6 tag a little bit ago and they went fast, so I failed to get one. I was looking at the 37-6 left over tag.

My questions are;
In the WY G&F guide it list a * beside the 37-6 tag, why is that? There is a lot of NF land and only one corner of it is wilderness.

Since the cow season opens before just about anything else except the archery hunt I was wondering if its a realistic possibly to get into elk on the National Forest (not wilderness). I have hunted the foot hills for deer in that area but never seen elk.

This years WY plans keep getting flushed down the drain for some reason and I am itching to get out there the first part of Oct. Since I have never killed an elk I figured this would be my best year to focus on getting a cow.

Conrad8899

Oct 15, 2011
Casper Wy
Take a look at the Wyoming Regulation Page. That is good off the National Forest from Sep 1 to Sep 30. Than October 1 to the 20. Its good for the whole unit....

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
AT,

Good question? It does appear there is plenty of forest to hunt on and no restrictions listed for type 6 tag. I would call the Game and Fish to ask that question.

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
I've been looking at that tag also but have been hesitant to spend the money for that same reason. One thing I have heard from more than one person is that it takes very little snow to move the elk down off the National Forest and onto private. Not sure I believe that but it's what I've heard. I'll be staying in Dayton in September for a few days in early September this year, after we're done with an antelope hunt in a unit further south. I'll be scouting 37 for elk so I can try to figure out for myself if I want to buy the type 6 tag next year.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Well that tag is all but gone now too, I have never seen tags go so quick or draw out like they did.

Once things die down I am calling G&F to ask about that tag.

Next year I will have as many back up plans as possible, evidently four backup plans werent enough this year, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Tags are selling out crazy fast this year. I think it took 2-3 days for the 7-6 tag to sell out last year, this year it only took about an hour.

greentimber

Oct 29, 2012
Tennessee
I tried for the 12-6 tag a little bit ago and they went fast, so I failed to get one.
I was quick enough to get that tag this morning. They were gone in almost instantly (less than one minute). That tag ended up being my 5th plan, or "plan E" for the year after my plans A-D fell apart. Oh, no I just remembered Nevada. Make this "plan F" actually. Some of the issues were due to increased demand and some were due to tag reductions. There were almost 40 leftovers for that tag last year as I recall. Only 7 this year.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
I guess I drove through parts of 37 last weekend. There were a lot of forest roads gated off so you would have to walk from the main road. I am not sure if that is part of it, or that the elk move down with a little pressure into the private. With the roads gated off it is a little hard to get into the hills from Story until snowmobile season. 36 has a big WHMA close to Buffalo, so that might be why it still doesn't have the "*" for later in the year cow hunts. 36 has more places that you can get an ATV on in my opinion, or at least from what I have seen. Maybe the locals know better places in 37. I thought off the Red Grade Road there would be plenty of access, but maybe not.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Wow, was going to pick up a unit 7 cow tag just for an extra tag, but guess I tried about 20 hours to late.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The secret is getting out on the cow tags. Great way to scout an area you plan to hunt Bulls in.

swmoelk

Apr 8, 2014
The secret is getting out on the cow tags. Great way to scout an area you plan to hunt Bulls in.

You're right Scott. More people have figured that out plus they cut some this year. My wife was lucky enough to draw 84-6 which used to be 90-95% success draw . With quotas cut this year it was 12% I believe. There's a couple good looking tags left though.