WY Outfitter ?

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
Would it be considered uncommon for an outfitter not tell you what units they hunt before booking with them? I guess I don't want to book with them without knowing what units they hunt as some are better than others. Thoughts?

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Ya if they don't tell you units they may not be legal Outfitters at all. Not sure about Wyoming may be different than Colorado.

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
Ya if they don't tell you units they may not be legal Outfitters at all. Not sure about Wyoming may be different than Colorado.
Wouldn't give client references either. I know most units in away have type 2 landowner tags so drawing isn't an issue but I would still like to know what unit I'm hunting.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Ya even with private land I like you would still prefer to know the unit so I can look up possible potential. Client references are usually a big one, if requested I give some clients, although I do have a few clients that don't give me permission to use them, cause they don't want to be bothered with calls or emails but I always have guys in my book that allow it.
Plenty of questions to ask to sniff out if he's legit or not, but like I said I know Colorado law not Wyoming. What's his outfitter number? Is he licensed and insured? Those are quick questions to help.
But if he doesn't want to give out information I wouldn't waste your time with it and move onto the next.
There's also some obvious hints to look for when "sniffing out" an illegal outfitter.
Is his pricing a lot lower than everyone else's?
Does he have a website?
Does he advertise publically or is it all pretty secretive?

mntnguide

Very Active Member
If hes not giving you client references let alone the units he hunts...i can already tell you how your hunt will go...Go on WYOGA.org...and see if hes even a licensed outfitter. And if hes not, turn the bastard in. but even if he is, doesnt sound like a good one

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
Ya even with private land I like you would still prefer to know the unit so I can look up possible potential. Client references are usually a big one, if requested I give some clients, although I do have a few clients that don't give me permission to use them, cause they don't want to be bothered with calls or emails but I always have guys in my book that allow it.
Plenty of questions to ask to sniff out if he's legit or not, but like I said I know Colorado law not Wyoming. What's his outfitter number? Is he licensed and insured? Those are quick questions to help.
But if he doesn't want to give out information I wouldn't waste your time with it and move onto the next.
There's also some obvious hints to look for when "sniffing out" an illegal outfitter.
Is his pricing a lot lower than everyone else's?
Does he have a website?
Does he advertise publically or is it all pretty secretive?
Yeah, I would expect some clients to not want to be bothered but if he has happy returning clients I would guess some wouldn't mind being a reference. He does have a website, prices are right inline with the competition, maybe a tiny bit cheaper. I'm going to look at his website to see if there is a guide number listed.

If hes not giving you client references let alone the units he hunts...i can already tell you how your hunt will go...Go on WYOGA.org...and see if hes even a licensed outfitter. And if hes not, turn the bastard in. but even if he is, doesnt sound like a good one
I'm going to check on the guide number.

Run fast .....
Ha, that's basically the plan. I had "booked" with him tentatively but didnt send in the contract or a deposit because I told him I wasn't sure and he could give up my spot if someone else called. He called me a few months later and asked if I was still interested. I basically told him no, I'm going to pass. He said he would keep my name on the spot just in case I change my mind. That drew the most concern until now.

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
He is listed on the WY outfitters list provided by the game and fish. Looks legit. Just not great at the customer service side I guess.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Maybe if you shared the name someone may have first hand info to offer, possibly via PM. But there are some serious red flags IMO, based on what you already shared.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Well if he does have a contract and is listed he's legal. If he was illegal then he wouldn't want a paper trail contract. But there still are red flags.
The business may have gone through new ownership that can cause problems with references if he hasn't dealt with any clients yet. And some old clients wouldn't want to vouch for someone they haven't hunted with yet. But the not telling you units is just really weird.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
You mentioned landowner tags, Wyoming does not allow transfer of landowner tags to hunters. Maybe you just mean a type 2 tag for the area in addition type 1 tags. You have to know the area to apply for .

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
You mentioned landowner tags, Wyoming does not allow transfer of landowner tags to hunters. Maybe you just mean a type 2 tag for the area in addition type 1 tags. You have to know the area to apply for .
I guess I thought type 2 tags were considered landowner tags. I may be confusing terms. My understanding is type 2 is private land only??

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
Maybe if you shared the name someone may have first hand info to offer, possibly via PM. But there are some serious red flags IMO, based on what you already shared.
I would gladly share the name via PM. I am not going to go with him. He is charging $1950 for a 3 day hunt and The Moore Ranch charges $2000 for a 5 day hunt. IF, and that is a big if I do a guided hunt I will keep looking. Pretty sure I'm just going to do DIY in area 18 of i can get drawn.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I guess I thought type 2 tags were considered landowner tags. I may be confusing terms. My understanding is type 2 is private land only??
Type 2 can be private land, but you really have to read every type 2 tag description. One type 2 tag I hunted was for the east side of a unit. Didn't matter if it was public or private.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I would gladly share the name via PM. I am not going to go with him. He is charging $1950 for a 3 day hunt and The Moore Ranch charges $2000 for a 5 day hunt. IF, and that is a big if I do a guided hunt I will keep looking. Pretty sure I'm just going to do DIY in area 18 of i can get drawn.
Assuming an antelope hunt? Hard to mess those up in general. Even bad outfitters put guys on goats.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Moore Ranch and Spearhead put lots of antelope on the ground, but not many big bucks. Had a friend that won a hunt with Spearhead, enjoyed it but did not see a big antelope. Most hunters shot 12 inchers or smaller while he was there. Outfitter is not needed to have a fun hunt and take a good buck. That being said they provide everything you need to enjoy your hunt without you having to arrange lodging and food. Spearhead does an unguided option for about $1,000 I believe. Weigh your options wisely, planning and making arrangements for your hunt can be a fun part of the experience too.