WY Elk Unit 61

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
I burned my points and drew a 61-1 elk tag. I'm trying to get one with a bow, but I'd really like to try and get a 350-type bull. Am I crazy? Should I lower my goals?

I'd love to know if I'm nuts.

Be honest. I can take it :cool:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Nope, but you can?t hunt the best part without a guide. You squared away there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
Nope, but you can?t hunt the best part without a guide. You squared away there?

Yep, thanks for checking. Going with Shoshone Lodge. I just don't want to be the doofus that shows up with crazy unrealistic goals.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
You have realistic expectations. They have a good camp with a track record of happy hunters. You should do well there!

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
The hunt was awesome. Dozens of dozens of bugling bulls, we didn't have grizzly issues (though we had a sow and two cubs at 60 yards), the guide was super patient while I looked for the right bull, camp was clean and comfortable. I couldn't be happier.

Good luck to everybody else this year.

2.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

trophyhunt

Oct 30, 2018
Wa
I was just in that country for a later hunt, the snows didn't come and hunting was not as expected, for bigger bulls. I saw lots of rag horns and tons of elk, one very big bull that had a broken 4th and 3rd on opposite sides, that saved his life. That ride in is interesting for a horse newbie, was a bit nervous at times. Great bull you got, congrats.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I was just in that country for a later hunt, the snows didn't come and hunting was not as expected, for bigger bulls. I saw lots of rag horns and tons of elk, one very big bull that had a broken 4th and 3rd on opposite sides, that saved his life. That ride in is interesting for a horse newbie, was a bit nervous at times. Great bull you got, congrats.
The snow is coming down now, did you have the type 2 tag? Will you be able to make it back if you do?

trophyhunt

Oct 30, 2018
Wa
The snow is coming down now, did you have the type 2 tag? Will you be able to make it back if you do?
I had a type 1 tag for 62, just across from an outfitters camp, big camp with white tents and a t'pee. I tagged out on my second day and didn't see much after that, ended up killing a bull in a canyon where the horses couldn't go. Couldn't go opening weekend because of my dads special tag in WA and I wasn't going to miss that, but I heard the last week was better anyway, of course not the year I finally draw. I had 12 points and have been putting in for 13 years, probably a once in a lifetime deal.