WY Elk Unit 38 or 45

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
So many possibilities to think about this time of year it can drive a guy crazy, but it sure is fun! I will probably wait and see what I draw and then look at leftover tags if nothing works out. Or I might get a leftover antelope tag and spend a few days scouting deer and elk on the way. Last year I planned my whole hunting season around a leftover antelope tag, but I had my reasons and Im glad I did.

mmfloyd

Jan 4, 2014
california
I plan on putting in for 38 type 1 this yr and with my points will draw. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for the unit. I always call the biologists and wardens in the area as well but any help would be great as being a non resident wont be able to scout. ill be there 3 weeks and glassing and hiking is no problem. thanks!

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Plan for the weather. This last season the Archery hunters got hammered with snow at the end of their season so be prepared.
***Yep! From the end of September through the whole month of October it was the worst weather I've ever seen out there and I've hunted the BigHorns almost every year since 1994!

mmfloyd

Jan 4, 2014
california
***Yep! From the end of September through the whole month of October it was the worst weather I've ever seen out there and I've hunted the BigHorns almost every year since 1994!
Thanks guys for info weather. I hunt with my wall tent and wood stove and fully equiped with bluebird weather and bad(good) weather to come in! Hope u guys do good this huntin season. Thx again!

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
That is great for the tent and stove and such. I was getting at being more prepared in getting around. They had a bunch of snow and the archery hunters had problems just driving anywhere so just keep this in mind on what your driving and where your camping. Real heavy rains, fog, and a snow storm made things interesting at the end of September. You may have no problems at all just watch the weather and have some plans in place and enjoy the hunt.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
We always have chains available for all four PU wheels because you never know when just a little bit of precipitation will muck the roads up and make them impassable without them. Just two don't hack it.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I agree on chains and I always carry a set no matter where I go and they stay in my truck all year but I have never chained up more then the front tires and I have been through some pretty nasty places. In my experience if you chain up the front it will pull the back through.

mmfloyd

Jan 4, 2014
california
thanks again. appreciate the advice. I got gmc 2500 4x4 and chains , tow chains and winch if needed. hopefully all goes good and we pull a few good bulls and bucks out if there.. any thoughts on the mulies in the area!

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
thanks again. appreciate the advice. I got gmc 2500 4x4 and chains , tow chains and winch if needed. hopefully all goes good and we pull a few good bulls and bucks out if there.. any thoughts on the mulies in the area!
***38 is more known for it's elk, but there are some big deer there, although IMHO they are a lot harder to hunt than elk and getting a good buck is tough.

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Roscoe -What did you decide and how did your hunt turn out?

I am in a similar position this year, trying to decide which unit in the Bighorns to hunt with 7 points.

45,38, and 41 are all high on my list of possibilities. Any thoughts from the WY experts?

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Roscoe -What did you decide and how did your hunt turn out?

I am in a similar position this year, trying to decide which unit in the Bighorns to hunt with 7 points.

45,38, and 41 are all high on my list of possibilities. Any thoughts from the WY experts?

If you want to be sure to hunt in 2015 and only plan on applying in the Regular PP Draw, you'll have to put in for 38 or 41 or get real lucky in the random draw because 7PPs was less than a 43% chance to draw in the regular draw last year for unit 45.

Last edited:

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Yea, I know that. If I decide on 45 type 1, I don't have a problem applying in the special draw. Or I could do Type 9, and looking at the odds feel pretty comfortable I could draw the type 9 in the Regular draw. But I appreciate the thoughts.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Yea, I know that. If I decide on 45 type 1, I don't have a problem applying in the special draw. Or I could do Type 9, and looking at the odds feel pretty comfortable I could draw the type 9 in the Regular draw. But I appreciate the thoughts.
I don't know how you can make that statement when the stats for 2014 for unit 45 were as follows:
Type 1 Regular Draw-7PPs was only a 42.86% chance
Type 1 Special Draw -6PPs was only a 62.5% chance
Type 9 Regular Draw- <7PPs was 100% but 6PPs was 0 chance
Type 9 Special Draw -6PPs was only an 80% chance

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks Mike. That's the info I was looking at.

I would have had a 62% chance for the Type 1 tag last year with my points. 10 of the 16 people drew with 6 points. Assuming all 6 that didn't draw apply again this year, 12 more people would have jump into the game this year at 7 or more points for it not to be 100% draw odds again at the 7 point level. I guess it could happen, but I feel pretty good about getting that tag with 7 points this year. That said, I don't follow the points game in WY quite as close as you do, so I may defer to you on that one.... but from where I look, it looks pretty good.

Same deal with the type 9 tag in the regular draw. I basically just assumed (maybe that's my first mistake) that since everyone with less than 7 points drew last year, even if all the people that applied with 6 this year did so again next year, the odds would be at least pretty decent of drawing the tag.

Between the 2 scenarios, I have more confidence in the Type 1 Special draw, but know these things can vary from year to year.

I don't know how you can make that statement when the stats for 2014 for unit 45 were as follows:
Type 1 Regular Draw-7PPs was only a 42.86% chance
Type 1 Special Draw -6PPs was only a 62.5% chance
Type 9 Regular Draw- <7PPs was 100% but 6PPs was 0 chance
Type 9 Special Draw -6PPs was only an 80% chance

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
With as many points as you have I would scratch 41 off the list.
I know its easier to draw.... But I was somewhat thinking of combining my points with a friend that has less so we can both go hunting. Plus, I don't know if I want to wait again for a unit that takes a bunch of points. Kind of just want to start hunting a unit I can draw every 3 to 4 years. But maybe I should do one hunt in a more premium unit since I built the points.... thanks for the feedback.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
It doesn't take much to screw up a plan when you're talking that few applicants that may continue to apply along with others that may not have and finally decide to put in for it. The whole fallacy of a PP system is that if you are looking at drawing top units and don't get in right away to have max PPs many times it's impossible to even catch up unless there are lots of tags available to help turn over the applicants. I'd seriously look at your other idea of hunting unit 41 in 2015 by partnering with your buddy if he has a few PPs so you wouldn't burn them all on your own hunt and could do it with a friend. The latter IMHO is much more fun, especially if you bow hunt during the September rut when the bulls are bugling.

pckaspt1

Jul 20, 2011
missouri
Just got on this thread and I'm also going to try to draw the type 9 unit 38 tag! Bow hunting is my passion and have hunted Idaho a few years and am ready to hit the mountains in wyoming. Was wondering if anybody would be willing to share a little info on a few good places to start? Not looking for the biggest bull on the mountain just getting in elk and shooting a decent bull would be great. I would share any info that I come away with from the trip. I'm from Missouri so I wouldn't be able to get out and scout ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk