WY Draw Odds & Numbers

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Did see a handful of point dumps, double digit points for hunts in say 3 point units. Must be using a guide or got some private access.

Looked at what 2 of us applied for w special in 2021 - we would have drawn this year w special and 3 points. The regular went up another point, leaving it just out of reach once again, but the special went down. I would have really liked to have done that hunt DIY, but guided will have to do.

Went thru the points for the units for the guided hunt and see 0 thru <2 for draws this year due to low % of public. Feeling better about us drawing next year.

Saw what looked like a lot of doe tags - numbers are supposedly way down and they can't stop issuing doe tags for a year to try and bump them up. Politics?

Reviewing these numbers is not exciting like Christmas, more like seeing if your covid home test is positive or negative kind of excitement...

Reactions: Prerylyon

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Yeah I noticed double digit point dumps for region tags, and not good ones. Im guessing people tired of point creep and the threat of 90/10 plus outfitter welfare which would actually make it 90/5/5. I plan on dumping my elk points next year. Hopefully 90/10 wont be in play next draw

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The real unfortunate part is that most people don't understand what the "90/5/5" is going to do to their chances (if it gets passed) of ever drawing a LQ tag. Most people will continue applying in hopes of drawing a random tag and hold onto the points until they die. Which in most situations they will die before they draw.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Lots of different things with draw odds. There's always people who are just buying points so they can just go whenever they want to on that one trip, take 3 points for a license and they got 8 points, good deal, guaranteed tag, their going hunting.
Sometimes time catches up with people and they say screw it, and just go.
I'm sure some is the talk of change, maybe some is the state of the economy too.
I personally know some people that are at the point they'd rather have a cow tag in their pocket and just be able to hunt, then keep playing the points game.
For what is worth many residents are not in favor of 90/5/5 split.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I was looking at the random draw odds and seeing triple digit applications for select units. And the folks who applied for the 0 permit units.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I too looked at the 2022 stats and and come to the conclusion that I might never draw a NR tag my favorite antelope unit again, I have hunted it as a non resident for over 40 years. I hunted it 3 years ago, so I have just started to get points again. If point creep and the 90/10 rule comes to pass, at my age it becomes a reality. Sad deal for sure. I have several other antelope units that I have hunted before and it looks like they are going to have to suffice.

I also have a few NR deer points and will probably be able to get in one more deer hunt. The points needed to draw a NR tag in the unit I hunt have doubled.

You guys are right, lots of double digit point holders have started to cash them in.

Last edited:

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
Will have 14 points for Elk next year ,didn't put in this year ,have a trophy tag here in Arizona this year. I am in no mans land with 14 . But gotta loose em next year..........................BOB!

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
For me, and I only have 1/2 doz pts, so I'm basically screwed for anything really 'choice' in the majority's eyes, I just want to be able to draw in a unit with a decent shot at what species the tag is for, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, fair access to public lands in that pursuit.

Last year, through some miracle, I drew a reduced priced tag in an area with lots of access and few tags. What a change from my usual tip-toeing around in an * unit. I honestly don't even care for the score of what I might shoot in the future in WY; a representative buck is plenty good. For me, public access is what, if anything, that keeps me paying tribute in points to WY G&F. That said, if we get some better fawn production and numbers improve some, I will not hesitate to blow the points on places with lower trophy quality, but good access for DIY.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
For me, and I only have 1/2 doz pts, so I'm basically screwed for anything really 'choice' in the majority's eyes, I just want to be able to draw in a unit with a decent shot at what species the tag is for, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, fair access to public lands in that pursuit.

Last year, through some miracle, I drew a reduced priced tag in an area with lots of access and few tags. What a change from my usual tip-toeing around in an * unit. I honestly don't even care for the score of what I might shoot in the future in WY; a representative buck is plenty good. For me, public access is what, if anything, that keeps me paying tribute in points to WY G&F. That said, if we get some better fawn production and numbers improve some, I will not hesitate to blow the points on places with lower trophy quality, but good access for DIY.
When you decide to cash in points, PM me your number, I'll tell you everything I know to try and help you make a decision on where to go. I work in the rural everywhere except the red desert, I generally have a pretty good idea what's going on around the state.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The next 2 years will be very interesting from a points game perspective. I think we will see a lot of people attempt to jump ship in the middle more than anywhere else, the top point holders are often very patient. However when it feels like there is no hope for ever drawing a top unit they bail vengefully, that happens somewhere around 2 points from max but it is never a bunch at a time. Its a percentage of them.

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
The next 2 years will be very interesting from a points game perspective. I think we will see a lot of people attempt to jump ship in the middle more than anywhere else, the top point holders are often very patient. However when it feels like there is no hope for ever drawing a top unit they bail vengefully, that happens somewhere around 2 points from max but it is never a bunch at a time. Its a percentage of them.
Im in no mans land with 6 points for deer and elk and 5 for antelope. I think Im gonna ride it out for antelope and deer but try to burn the elk points next year. Ill never draw a top unit unless its in the random. The only issue is I dont want to leave 2 points on the table for a general tag, and with point creep it might only be 1 point. I would like to hunt an LE area just once and I have an idea where ill be applying next year. 🤞

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Im in no mans land with 6 points for deer and elk and 5 for antelope. I think Im gonna ride it out for antelope and deer but try to burn the elk points next year. Ill never draw a top unit unless its in the random. The only issue is I dont want to leave 2 points on the table for a general tag, and with point creep it might only be 1 point. I would like to hunt an LE area just once and I have an idea where ill be applying next year. 🤞
You won't be leaving 2 points on the table for general. Point creep is going to be steep for a while so my guess is it will take 5ish to guarantee a general tag next year. Enjoy the heck out of that tag by the way. It may be 8-10+ years before you draw another.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
hello please pardon my ignorance but can someone tell me where i can read about this 90/10 or 90/5/5 proposition ?
And FYI, from the task force perspective that piece of the equation is over. Now whether or not our state law makers pick up the mantle, that will be the issue.