Would it be easier/economical to plan a hunt in AK or Canada- Bear or Caribou.

chasingcoues

Jun 25, 2014
Group of us long time hunting buddies want to plan a hunt for 2016. We can't decide between Alaska and Canada, which do you believe would be a better overall hunt with keeping cost in mind?

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
Canada is mandatory for requiring a guide unless you are Canadian. You can hunt in Alaska without a guide for all animals except Brown Bear, Dall sheep, Mountain Goat. If you are talking Caribou and Black Bear no guide required by law, just a lot of work, but very doable for most avid outdoorsmans. Now Canada does have some reasonably priced guided hunts though. You really have to examine specifics and compare apples and apples to compare price. But then price should not be everything if this is a hunt of a lifetime. God bless

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
In my limited research, Canada has looked like the better option... I'm curious to see what other members opinions are as I also want to hunt caribou in the future.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
I hunted Quebec this year, had a great time. It's not like it used to be though. Looking forward to getting a couple more. I really want to get a barren ground Alaskan, and a Mountain Caribou. I am going to plan a drop camp in Alaska next.

Huntinguy0120

May 29, 2012
Northern CA
I went on a woodland caribou hunt in Newfoundland back in 2009 and got the opportunity to take a nice one. Cost an arm and a leg to get everything flown back with the airlines. Fairly certain I still might be paying for it.

If you have the opportunity to take multiple animals, I would recommend driving!

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
It's gonna be tough getting you all in the back seat of a Supercub, you might be a lot better friends by the time we get up here, or maybe not!!!

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
i dont see how canada would be cheaper cause of the mandatory hiring a guide, just curious what u guys hunted up there and cost. Alaska is a place everyone needs to experinece, i had an amazing time and did a diy caribou drop camp that i thought was affordable.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
i dont see how canada would be cheaper cause of the mandatory hiring a guide, just curious what u guys hunted up there and cost. Alaska is a place everyone needs to experinece, i had an amazing time and did a diy caribou drop camp that i thought was affordable.
For the Canada hunts I was looking at driving up. I'm in Nebraska so the drive up looked reasonable for two guys to make (roughly 16 hours north for the areas I was looking into) Being able to avoid airline costs and meat shipping costs made it look like a cheaper option. I was looking at guided for both. This thread got me looking again yesterday afternoon and the outfitter prices have gone up quite a bit since I last looked. I would much rather do a DIY in Alaska but since I have never set foot anywhere north of Fargo I figured my best chances at success were guided.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
You looking for Caribou Hilltop? If you are just make sure you do your homework. Some great outfitters up there but there is some you want to steer away from.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
You looking for Caribou Hilltop? If you are just make sure you do your homework. Some great outfitters up there but there is some you want to steer away from.
I want to go but I'm thinking a it won't be for a few years. I'm considering taking my son on his senior trip depending on what he has going on. He is a freshman this year so I have some time. Any recommended outfitters?

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I have only been up there once (to Quebec) but it was a incredible trip. The outfit I went with went belly up (the year after I got back) and stole everyone's money. This was a Quebec trip so I'm not sure what type of Caribou your looking at. If I was to go back to Quebec the only outfit I would go with is Jack Hume. You have other Providences to consider (different Caribou) but just make sure you do your homework. If your looking for a Outfitted trip in a couple years I would look now as lots of these get booked way early

.Caribou.JPG