Wolves in Colorado

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
sadly I don't think the truth is enough. I believe the majority of the people that vote on this wont even think about it. or the science behind any of it, just that they will get to see "pretty wolves running around"

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
this madness will never stop. the wolves are coming no matter how the vote turns out.

Reactions: DH56

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I'll try to stop them one at a time...
That may sound good, but the reality is that wolves are wary and mostly nocturnal making for a very challenging hunt. Targeted trapping or even aerial gunning (or indiscriminate poisoning) are really about the only effective control measures out there. I live in the heart of the NE Minnesota core wolf area with 2,500 - 4,000 wolves. Even living 22 miles from the nearest small town, I have only seen one wolf that I had a realistic chance to shoot at, and that was in the middle of a lake with cabins on the other side. Once this Pandora's box is open it will be too late. Expect the ballot to pass, as the east slope population that doesn't have to live with the wolves and their result will vote because puppies are cute.

Reactions: minn elk chaser

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Even if this proposal doesn't pass this upcoming election odds are they will get it put onto the next and then the next and then the next one.

It is a lot like how legalized MJ got passed, it failed on a number of ballots until they finally got enough votes for it to pass.

I'm just glad that I am on the downhill side of my hunting years.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
We surely don't need wolves here in Colorado but I don't think this vote will matter much, other than to speed things up.
There are already wolves in the states north of us, as everyone on here knows, so they'll make it down into Colorado anyway.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
We surely don't need wolves here in Colorado but I don't think this vote will matter much, other than to speed things up.
There are already wolves in the states north of us, as everyone on here knows, so they'll make it down into Colorado anyway.
may be easier to pick them off via migration and no regs as opposed to dealing with the state :sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: DH56 and Winchester

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I'll try to stop them one at a time...
that's what all the Idahoans said when they were pushed down our throats.

but the plain simple truth is , one would have to break the law , to make an impact that way and the vast majority of hunters believe in obeying the law , even when they disagree with it.

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
The wolves are just part of that big liberal utopia. Its an anti hunting strategy
I have no doubt it will pass . most people just don't really care enough one way or the other to oppose it . it is much easier to just vote for, so you can stop hearing about it .. this is why I hate seeing laws passed by the ballet.

there is a reason the founders tried to set up a system where we could elect our "best and brightest" to represent us ,in the passing of legislation. it is a pity that experiment is such a total failure.

Reactions: DH56

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
For the record, I hate that they are even entertaining re-introduction of wolves into Colorado.

BUT, what I find most interesting is that for years I have had concerns about Colorado and its seasons, point creep, overcrowding, cattle grazing, reduction in Cow elk, season structures, and tag allocations. I have called, mailed letters and spoken to various people who should be able to make a difference in these decisions. All of my concerns have fallen on deaf ears and the CPW just keeps on chugging along the same path to self destruction. I am a non-resident and I am treated like one. I dont get a vote and I dont get any of my concerns addressed. EVER. Not even a return phone call.

Now, that Colorado realizes this wolf situation is a great threat I receive 2 emails a day from the "Stop the wolf" coalition and other emails that basically state the same thing. They want my help via donations $$$.
You know what I say? Let the CPW deal with it. They didn't want to hear my concerns before so I say they can deal with this situation themselves. I dont get a vote in this either. So what does it really matter? There is nothing I can do for them as a non-resident.

My recommendation is the same people (that didn't want to address my concerns because I am just a non-resident and the only thing that matters is my money) is that they go to the polls and take care of this themselves.

Wait until they raise the hunting license fees across the board on everyone to be able to afford to manage the wolves with new liberal wolf biologists who have a diamond hard-on for wolves. We will be paying for the same people we in turn want to see jump off a damn cliff...

Rant over.

Last edited:
Reactions: MuleyHunter

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
For the record, I hate that they are even entertaining re-introduction of wolves into Colorado.

BUT, what I find most interesting is that for years I have had concerns about Colorado and its seasons, point creep, overcrowding, cattle grazing, reduction in Cow elk, season structures, and tag allocations. I have called, mailed letters and spoken to various people who should be able to make a difference in these decisions. All of my concerns have fallen on deaf ears and the CPW just keeps on chugging along the same path to self destruction. I am a non-resident and I am treated like one. I dont get a vote and I dont get any of my concerns addressed. EVER. Not even a return phone call.

Now, that Colorado realizes this wolf situation is a great threat I receive 2 emails a day from the "Stop the wolf" coalition and other emails that basically state the same thing. They want my help via donations $$$.
You know what I say? Let the CPW deal with it. They didn't want to hear my concerns before so I say they can deal with this situation themselves. I dont get a vote in this either. So what does it really matter? There is nothing I can do for them as a non-resident.

My recommendation is the same people (that didn't want to address my concerns because I am just a non-resident and the only thing that matters is my money) is that they go to the polls and take care of this themselves.

Wait until they raise the hunting license fees across the board on everyone to be able to afford to manage the wolves with new liberal wolf biologists who have a diamond hard-on for wolves. We will be paying for the same people we in turn want to see jump off a damn cliff...

Rant over.
I totally get your frustration.

would only say, at least they finally responded . sure your help ,and donations probably won't make a lick of difference but I can guarantee , your lack of support will not further your interests either.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Here is a little article about a possible pack of wolves up in the north west section of Colorado.

Also a few years ago there was a single wolf that traveled quite a bit around western Colorado. He came in north of Grand Junction and headed east to the Vail Valley area and then back north before he was killed. I can't remember if he was shot or hit by a car.