Wolf Hunting with a call

dadams41

Nov 20, 2016
Utah
I?m going bear hunting up in lolo in June so I?ll definitely get an opportunity to try. Went last year as well and saw signs of wolf everywhere and am trying to figure out how to capitalize on the opportunity while we are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Spoke with a hunter in the Salmon area, he calls using a wolf howl. He's killed 5 so far and his brother has gotten 3. Has a license plate "Wolfslyr". I've heard coyote calls will bring them in too. Hunted Lolo quite a few times and saw 1 wolf and lots of tracks. Good luck! Up there, you can get 5 tags.

RJW

Jan 2, 2013
wapiti, wy
they come in hot and ready to coyote calls, once they turn away you can often stop them again with coyote talk. they will go far to kill one if they can.
I've not seen many states that have open wolf season in June though
20170530_084159-2.jpg

dadams41

Nov 20, 2016
Utah
they come in hot and ready to coyote calls, once they turn away you can often stop them again with coyote talk. they will go far to kill one if they can.
I've not seen many states that have open wolf season in June though
View attachment 20658
Lolo I believe is year round because of the wolf population. We were up there last year and saw sign of them everywhere. We will try our luck. When is the best time to call? Morning, evening? Does it matter?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Lolo I believe is year round because of the wolf population. We were up there last year and saw sign of them everywhere. We will try our luck. When is the best time to call? Morning, evening? Does it matter?

when wolves are hungry.:rolleyes:lol no, time of day doesn't really matter, wolves , eat when they are hungry and kill when they are awake. however, I do like first light calls, easier to sneak into an area undetected in the dark.

I don't care if others do it and even encourage others to kill all the wolves they can but I wouldn't shoot a wolf except in winter when pelts are good.

RJW

Jan 2, 2013
wapiti, wy

I've only been hunting them around here, so my experiences may not match what you've got up there, but I mainly assume there is a wolf around at all times in nose and ear shot,
here wind more than anything will determine when and where to call. they spend their whole day walking, covering ground, unless they have a kill or a carcass around to occupy them. no point calling them in if the wind is wrong and they bust me, so a good set up is one with the wind in a shooting direction. usually im trapping when i call them, see tracks or them walking around. if the wind isnt right i ignore them.

we've watched them change course and leave their trail because they smelled something 1/4 mile away that was sick. they're going to swing downwind of you so that decides where you set up, then they'll either be around to hear your calls or they won't, they cover big home ranges, next try to call on windless nights, i prefer calling at night when the wind drops off. hunt the drainages for more reliable wind directions and its usually their travel corridor anyway, keep your eyes sharp for lions and bears, pig squeal as I call it into a howler and you'll see more grizz then you ever wanted to see around here, not familiar with lolo but I'd imagine its the same. they are a neat critter. fun to call in.