Wolf Hunting with a call

dadams41

Nov 20, 2016
Utah
Anyone ever done this? Is it similar to coyotes in any way? Going to Idaho for a bear hunt late this spring and wondering if it would be worth it to try this or just a waste of time?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
yes it works. haven't haD A LOT OF LUCK YET MYSELF BUT KNOW SOME WHO HAVE.

been told to try coyote howls. wolves are territorial and don't like coyotes on their turf.

if you set-up where they can hear you , there is a fairly good chance they will come in.

wolf season however is closed till fall. so ,while you can still call them ,you cannot shoot them.

Last edited:

dadams41

Nov 20, 2016
Utah
I will be in unit 10. I'm pretty sure it is open until the end of June up there isn't it? I know it is different in a lot of units.

yes it works. haven't haD A LOT OF LUCK YET MYSELF BUT KNOW SOME WHO HAVE.

been told to try coyote howls. wolves are territorial and don't like coyotes on their turf.

if you set-up where they can hear you , there is a fairly good chance they will come in.

wolf season however is closed till fall. so ,while you can still call them ,you cannot shoot them.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I will be in unit 10. I'm pretty sure it is open until the end of June up there isn't it? I know it is different in a lot of units.

Dadams, I stand corrected. I just looked it up and it seems you are correct and I am wrong. my bad.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Always wondered if sounding like a pack of hounds with a cat treed would bring them in.
Dam right it works!! We were not hunting wolves but bobcat, dog's are treeing and the wolves sneak in and kill! Happened several times loosing only one, luckily!

dadams41

Nov 20, 2016
Utah
My wife's hair would erupt into flames if I added another hobby.

Flames. For real.
My wife isn't real happy about this trip either. I'm sure she will have her own trip planned any day now. Hers will cost a lot more than mine though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lang

Nov 11, 2013
I've put this on here before, but any of you that are making trips to Idaho between Dec and March you need to look up the Foundation for Wildlife Management. They reimburse you for costs of wolf hunting up to $500 per wolf. They formed to help the serious trapper knowing the ones that are serious about it are needing help financially to offset the costs of trapping. It is a great program and indorsed by the RMEF and Idaho F&G.
foundationforwildlifemanagement.org

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I've put this on here before, but any of you that are making trips to Idaho between Dec and March you need to look up the Foundation for Wildlife Management. They reimburse you for costs of wolf hunting up to $500 per wolf. They formed to help the serious trapper knowing the ones that are serious about it are needing help financially to offset the costs of trapping. It is a great program and indorsed by the RMEF and Idaho F&G.
foundationforwildlifemanagement.org
I have not heard this. that is awesome

Jrod

Jan 30, 2012
Livermore, CA
never hunted wolves but if elk are in the area maybe a calf call along with a cow call could catch their interest just long enough to get a hide
just thinkin out loud

lang

Nov 11, 2013
Great news from The Foundation for Wildlife Management, they are now reimbursing $250 per wolf taken during the early season (August-November).

MTbowhunter36

Dec 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
never hunted wolves but if elk are in the area maybe a calf call along with a cow call could catch their interest just long enough to get a hide
just thinkin out loud
That's how I shot my wolf last year (2016). It was opening day of rifle in Montana and i was using some soft cow calls with a reed. There was about a foot of snow on the ground and i was in a deep canyon where bulls were in September. It was really quiet and as I walked through an opening I saw two wolves 10 yards away. We were all startled and they both ran a short distance. One ran only to 17 yards broadside and i shot him. I only saw two, but there was a pack of four. I felt as though they thought I was dinner and were hunting me because of the cow calls. They are ferocious predators. Picture below is what was in his stomach - deer hide with an Eastmans Outdoor Edge knife next to it for reference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dadams41

Nov 20, 2016
Utah
That's how I shot my wolf last year (2016). It was opening day of rifle in Montana and i was using some soft cow calls with a reed. There was about a foot of snow on the ground and i was in a deep canyon where bulls were in September. It was really quiet and as I walked through an opening I saw two wolves 10 yards away. We were all startled and they both ran a short distance. One ran only to 17 yards broadside and i shot him. I only saw two, but there was a pack of four. I felt as though they thought I was dinner and were hunting me because of the cow calls. They are ferocious predators. Picture below is what was in his stomach - deer hide with an Eastmans Outdoor Edge knife next to it for reference.

I wonder how well this would work in the spring when calf?s are being born. I have heard several stories of people elk hunting and cow calling and having wolves come in. I guess I?ll see how it works for me this year.

MTbowhunter36

Dec 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
I wonder how well this would work in the spring when calf?s are being born. I have heard several stories of people elk hunting and cow calling and having wolves come in. I guess I?ll see how it works for me this year.

I think it would work pretty well. Another thing to throw into your calling setup would be a calf in distress call. Definitely keep your head on a swivel though.

If you're going to be in griz country I would be cautious about calling and not do it without someone with you for another set of eyes.