Wildlife task force, 90-10, etc.

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado
In GA Residents and Non Residents are given 10 Antlerless tags and 2 buck tags and 2 bear tags and now (starting in 2021) 2 turkey tags with every license purchased. Also as many hogs and small game as you want to shoot and as many fish as you want to catch if you get the sportsman's license. Plus you can partake in Quota hunts and shoot additional bucks and does that dont count against your buck tags.

They do charge more for a non-resident license (about half the cost of an OTC Colorado elk license) but thats a lot of game to hunt for the price of admission.

Pretty good deal for both residents and non-residents if you ask me.

Oh, and preference points are free to apply for.
[/QUOTE

With all of that opportunity I would think GA would be experiencing some kind of point creep.
With all of those opportunities available to those people I really struggle with hearing NRs complain about a lack of opportunity out west. How would you feel if you got one deer tag, one bear tag and one turkey tag per year. We aren’t even guaranteed that in our home states. This year neither my son or I drew our deer tags and when I go check out the units we applied for I’ll bet the vast majority of hunters I encounter are out of state. Just sayin

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Honestly, I wish they would limit us to 1 turkey, 1 buck, 1 doe and 1 bear in GA…the hunting would be much better. I used to live in a state where that is all you got and I liked it much better than GA.

GA is actually experiencing big time point creep. Especially for gators.

I sort of understand your situation but I would be pretty dang happy for I could get an otc elk tag and hunt for $56.68.

I hope you and your boy can pick up something in the leftover draw!

Last edited:

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Honestly, I wish they would limit us to 1 turkey, 1 buck, 1 doe and 1 bear in GA…the hunting would be much better. I used to live in a state where that is all you got and I liked it much better than GA.
Stop wishing and take some action.

I hear lots of people complain, including about folks that MAKE things happen and get the changes they want.

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Most of the wildlife decisions are made by very few people, the hunters in the states just don't want to get involved until something happens and then they wonder why it did.

In Utah they have a s number of Regional Advisory Counsels (RAC) that are made up of hunters, and fishermen of the areas that the RAC represents along with DWR employees. They meet throughout the year to discuss what is going to happen with wildlife in Utah as far as rules and regulations. Then the results are brought before the Wildlife Board for discussion and or votes to accept or reject the proposals.

Some states have different ways of doing this but most have open forums to hear from the general public. But you the general public need to get involved in the process if you really want your voice heard.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Most of the wildlife decisions are made by very few people, the hunters in the states just don't want to get involved until something happens and then they wonder why it did.

In Utah they have a s number of Regional Advisory Counsels (RAC) that are made up of hunters, and fishermen of the areas that the RAC represents along with DWR employees. They meet throughout the year to discuss what is going to happen with wildlife in Utah as far as rules and regulations. Then the results are brought before the Wildlife Board for discussion and or votes to accept or reject the proposals.

Some states have different ways of doing this but most have open forums to hear from the general public. But you the general public need to get involved in the process if you really want your voice heard.
I understand and agree with what you are both saying, however in my state and probably others the big greenie organizations have a much bigger voice than the hunters do. I have applied to be on the “Wolf Advisory Council “ and have not even received a reply, I fill out every survey I receive and so do many folks that I know. It seems like every change they enact is in direct opposition to the feedback they receive. They often hold open forums but rarely act on the feedback that they receive. It feels like pushing a rope.
In my opinion the way that wildlife is managed in states like Wyoming is light years ahead of what I see in my state. I hope that Wyoming and the other western states never cave to the greenies.

Reactions: mallardsx2

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I understand and agree with what you are both saying, however in my state and probably others the big greenie organizations have a much bigger voice than the hunters do. I have applied to be on the “Wolf Advisory Council “ and have not even received a reply, I fill out every survey I receive and so do many folks that I know. It seems like every change they enact is in direct opposition to the feedback they receive. They often hold open forums but rarely act on the feedback that they receive. It feels like pushing a rope.
In my opinion the way that wildlife is managed in states like Wyoming is light years ahead of what I see in my state. I hope that Wyoming and the other western states never cave to the greenies.
Filling out surveys is great for those that want to put just slightly more than zero effort into making changes happen.

You have to form relationships with the decision makers if you want to impact change....they can't read your mind. You have to gain their trust and present your ideas in a thoughtful way.

That does take time and effort, but anything worthwhile always does.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Filling out surveys is great for those that want to put just slightly more than zero effort into making changes happen.

You have to form relationships with the decision makers if you want to impact change....they can't read your mind. You have to gain their trust and present your ideas in a thoughtful way.

That does take time and effort, but anything worthwhile always does.
I agree 100%, but it’s a totally different dynamic in my state compared to let’s say Wyoming.

Reactions: mallardsx2