Why OTC hunting has ruined CO

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Getting back to the original question......

I'll speak to the 2 GMU's closest to home that have unlimited 2nd & 3rd season bull elk tags. 71 & 711 are the 2 units and I've hunted them for 30 years. (72 & 73 are closer, but almost all private or reservation land so I don't include them in this statement) I won't hunt in 2nd or 3rd season because of the orange army that invades these units. Hard to find camping areas, road hunters everywhere and trash too. It is absolutely unreal. I remember when we had general seasons and it was great....not now! I either hunt 1st or 4th. Muzzle Loading season is getting that way too, just too many hunters, both ML & archery.

I M/L hunted unit 70 a few years ago. I scouted all summer (probably 20+ days). Had a camp spot in mind and where I had seen elk all summer. When I got there 3 days before opener, there was a huge army tent setup and 18 archery hunters there. I went to several other areas I had as alternate choices, same story.

I'll take my chance with 1st or 4th season draw and hope they split the M/L season off from archery.

Rant over....................

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Getting back to the original question......

I'll speak to the 2 GMU's closest to home that have unlimited 2nd & 3rd season bull elk tags. 71 & 711 are the 2 units and I've hunted them for 30 years. (72 & 73 are closer, but almost all private or reservation land so I don't include them in this statement) I won't hunt in 2nd or 3rd season because of the orange army that invades these units. Hard to find camping areas, road hunters everywhere and trash too. It is absolutely unreal. I remember when we had general seasons and it was great....not now! I either hunt 1st or 4th. Muzzle Loading season is getting that way too, just too many hunters, both ML & archery.

I M/L hunted unit 70 a few years ago. I scouted all summer (probably 20+ days). Had a camp spot in mind and where I had seen elk all summer. When I got there 3 days before opener, there was a huge army tent setup and 18 archery hunters there. I went to several other areas I had as alternate choices, same story.

I'll take my chance with 1st or 4th season draw and hope they split the M/L season off from archery.

Rant over....................
This has been the exact experience ive enjoyed in units75 751 77 78 80 and 81. It is unbelievable the number of people in the "wilderness" during September. Ive never been brave enuff to try otc rifle. I can only imagine. CC is spot on and I think he is putting it lightly in saying its crowded. When u have 4 or 5 seasons all going at once plus all the hikers and trail riders its amazing how many people crowd into the san juan in sept

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Swampoke and CC,
Same here with my GMU I 4th cow in. I wouldn't dare go in there 2nd/3rd.......but there is leftover tags in it each year well over 100. Clealry the OTC open season isn't thinning the herd enough even with all the pressure. Which surprises me every year with the total number of hunters I see in it 2nd 3rd.

Last edited:

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
We could say the same for most all OTC units... just crazy the amount of ppl nowadays... very few and far between honey holes anymore... something has to change. Call it population increase or whatever you want, it just simply ain't what is was 5 10 15 years ago...

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
For instance, I have hunted OTC archery quite a bit. I have switched my area completely 5 times. The same old story is the reason, too many people. Yes I could go to WY and MT to hunt, and have a long term plan to, but in the mean time CO is my home. I would chose CO over any other state for muleys no questions asked. We have killed 5 muleys the past 3 years over 175" on areas that take less than average points. 2 booners. Some you can draw every year. Elk is a different story, just depends on if quality is a goal, then north is better. I get out hunting to enjoy my time with hunting friends and family and there's just something that ticks the old nerve when someone walks up saying they are lost or haven't seen anything in days when you scouted your butt of to have them blow em out. Yes its public land but i believe CO can do minor changes to make this better.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Agree with ya.....I love the whole NF scenario when you come across someone who has no gps, map or anything who is lost, obviously didn't study the area and just moves around all day not paying attention to wind and blowing elk out. :)

That's why I stopped OTC hunting.......I mainly did it before only because I didn't completely understand the system or realize what Colorado had to offer.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Here is a thought......change EAUs that are not part of the 5 major herds into draw EAUs. At first glance that would kill multiple birds with one stone so would have to think it through more.

1) Preserves the money making provided by the OTC tag
2) Continues to manage the major herds to keep them in check
3) Issue tags for the other EAUs to meet specific objectives
4) Overall quality of the non major herd EAUs would go up

My concern though would be not enough revenue generated compared to now......but somethings gotta change

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
One of the problems with doing away with OTC hunts is the local business folks. Because we are so close to NM, AZ & UT in addition to Tex, this is the first place they stop. Buy fuel, supplies and licenses. They spend tons of money here and if OTC stopped, the merchants would bitch like hell, including all our local legislators.