Why Oregon is screwed in the long run....

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
The reason hunting in Oregon will continue to decline and eventually go away is because we are overrun here with moronic people who really don't appreciate hunting or harvesting their own meat.

I posted a story about the fair chase wolf hunt I recently returned from on a local "hunting" board and although it was all done in good taste the anti hunting folks at www.ifish.net just deleted it. I shouldn't be surprised as they have been showing signs of being anti-hunting there for a while. The moderators seem to have very little hunting knowledge or interest but they get some attention so they log on and screw with those of us who actually do hunt. Sad realization that I am not really surprised they would go there! They are the enemy of all that appreciate fair chase hunting!

I believe I will be retiring somewhere where people that would object to fair chase control of predators will we run off not catered to!

OTT2

May 5, 2011
N.E. Oregon
I don't think they allow any wolf threads on their site anymore. Too much debate. Some on that site argue like a bunch of two year olds!!! JMHO

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
Well after a fair amount of BS the thread is back up there. I know it seems trivial but to me it is a huge issue when the anti's have enough power to stop hunters from being able to celebrate a successful hunt on a HUNTING forum.

I will still stick with other places such as Eastmans to post on in the future.

It may seem like a stretch but the attitude that would lead a hunting board ban talk of wolves (which hasn't happened there) is the prevalent attitude in our state. We are controlled by the ignorant masses and our hunting is suffering! We have more cougars than you can shake a stick at and now they are going to have to share with the wolves that are building in numbers.

Like I have stated before I don't hate wolves and I am very happy to have been able to harvest one in Idaho where they are managing them finally. I hope states like Idaho can find a balance and be able to have a few wolves and still maintain big game hunting. I do not believe Oregon will ever manage them based on the way the masses here think and act.....

Reactions: dan maule

sethkuhl

May 19, 2011
Superior MT
Coming from Mineral County in Western MT I am not surprised to hear that out of anywhere anymore. I have gotten more frowns and stern looks in recent years for my hunting ways, than you could imagine. I eat predominately wild game and am not ashamed of that. A buddy of mine sent me a text message that had a picture of a cow crapping and it said "Dear PETA my food sh@#! on your food" I want to get that made into a shirt and wear it around Missoula!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Coming from Mineral County in Western MT I am not surprised to hear that out of anywhere anymore. I have gotten more frowns and stern looks in recent years for my hunting ways, than you could imagine. I eat predominately wild game and am not ashamed of that. A buddy of mine sent me a text message that had a picture of a cow crapping and it said "Dear PETA my food sh@#! on your food" I want to get that made into a shirt and wear it around Missoula!
Hahahahahahahahhaah that's hilarious!

7mmsendero

Aug 24, 2011
I feel your pain guys, I fear Michigan has started down this path as well. We are 50th in hunter recruitment, and the head big game biologist for the Northern Lower Penninsula is passionate about wolves. He dreams of the day the howl of the wolf returns to the Michigan woods. I'm not sure what he is still dreaming about, we have plenty in the Upper Penninsula.

This trend keeps up and he will manage himself into unemployment. No hunters, no tag sales, no DNR money, and no biologist. Things are getting pretty bad, and I fear Chaos is on the horizon.

I just can't understand why non-hunters are a good fit for a big game biologist position. Without hunting revenue all wildlife will be in danger. Sorry, but bird watchers, hikers, and the such just don't have the passion to pull their weight financially when it comes to conservation.

Bearkiller

Feb 23, 2011
Hermiston
I agree Ifish is a bit to sensitive plus there are a select few who call themselves hunters that want wolves. Any person who is a true hunter would never want wolves in their state. Western Oregon seems to have to much control over big game issues. To many people who are out of touch with reality. ODFW just rolls over whenever a major issue comes up on predator management apparently they must not like their jobs to much since we as hunters pay their salary.

elkocd

Apr 7, 2011
Oregon
Ifish is a joke and I agree their over moderation leans towards anti-hunting. Really we can’t have wolf threads because the subject is too sensitive and someone may get their feelings hurt? WTF? You are correct in thinking this sort of mentality will kill hunting in our state and will also be what kills Ifish. I have already seen a huge decline in participation by the guys who have been on there since way back and everyone I know has given up on it. There are far better places like this to discuss OR hunting IMHO!

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I do not believe Oregon will ever manage them based on the way the masses here think and act.....
Not to mention they way they have managed, or lack of, the Mt. Lion. Years ago I got a shot of a wolf on my trail camera in the Lookout Mt. unit. They refused to admit there were wolves there, even though the one on the cam had a radio collar. Now I hear they have killed two out of that pack and are planning on two more, because of them killing livestock...EVERYTHING needs to be managed.