Why Cell Phones are Addictive

hoshour

Veteran member
Last night 60 Minutes had a former Google programmer on to talk about how software developers intentionally build in things to make apps on cell phones and other mobile devices addicting. See it here http://www.cbsnews.com/60-minutes/full-episodes/

FB, Instagram and other apps in effect function like a slot machine where on a periodic, almost random basis there are rewards, e.g. likes and thanks. Sometimes software companies will hold back likes and give you a rush of them at once to give you a big reward. They interviewed a company that uses algorithms to determine for each user how best to time the delivery of those rewards for maximum effect, i.e. increasing the number of times you check in and how long you stay.

They also talked about an anxiety that we have missed something when we have gone a while without checking FB or email. That anxiety has been shown to trigger a release of cortisol, a hormone that is not good for you except in fight or flight situations. They did a biometric experiment on Anderson Cooper and when he heard a sound for a new text on his phone which was kept just out of reach, he had a measurable reaction of anxiety, like a suddenly elevated pulse.

Another thing is that FB makes you scroll continuously to find things, not because it is easier (it's not) but because it keeps you on their site longer, allowing them to sell more ads. Remember, you are not their customer. You are the subject. Companies that advertise are their customers, the ones that pay them. Keeping your attention is an app company's #1 goal, not the customer experience, no matter what they say.

Last edited:

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Thanks hoshour.

This just lends further evidence to my hypothesis that pretty much everything in the media is designed to do one thing -- separate me from my money.

My television, my cell phone, billboards, magazines, pretty much any web site I visit, etc. It's all about advertising, getting their ads in front of me, and convincing me that I must have their product.

I will be 50 this September...am i getting older, or just more cynical?

Remember the movie "Say Anything"?

Lloyd Dobler: "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

y02MDM

Sep 4, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I saw that. I see people every day that you can tell have a problem. Fortunately l am not there yet. Thanks for the post.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
That is one of the reason I've stayed away from "smart" phones, I still have an "old style" flip phone. I view a phone as a piece of communication gear that allows me and someone who wishes/needs to talk to me, the ability to do so. It is great for that.....not selling products, advertising, playing games, etc from my point of view. I hang up on all calls that are "spam" from my viewpoint. I also use social media sparingly (only FB), only to keep in touch with former co-workers, friends and relatives. I absolutely despise the adds! My wife and I were in a local eatery having breakfast and we noticed that a huge amount of the patrons were looking at their cell phones, texting, playing games or otherwise entranced. Whatever happened to good old conversation!

Yep .....I'm an old fart and proud of it!

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I have never been on facebook, never held a "Smart phone" and I don't want to. I'm with Cowboy...I own a flip phone that I rarely use. Technology has passed me by. I see people every day that have their face glued to smart phones....no thanks.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I'm not old (yet), but want to live my life not read about someone else's on a daily basis.
Think of the lost time, which you can never get back, scrolling through the apps. I do use a smart phone, but only for work and a few minutes per day personally.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
No smart phone for me, no facebook. I do not need or want a computer in my pocket. My sister-in-law is one of those who is addicted, she is constantly checking FB, if we go somewhere she has to post pics immediately to FB. She always has a smartphone, a laptop and a tablet with her, that's just crazy. There is not a second where she doesn't have her darn phone in her hand doing something on it.
My daughter and he boyfriend are no better, their entire lives are on their phones.
No thanks.

Sundowners@5?

Feb 19, 2014
Northern Wisconsin
Just a flip phone for me and if you want the number it may take a day to find it because I can't remember wear it is or the number! Son inlaw is addicted to his smart phone, asked if I had my phone, told him no. What if you want talk to your wife he asked? Told him if I wanted to talk with her I'll stay home! We were out fishing and his was going off with calls and text's. Before our next trip out I went to the toy store and found a close replicate of his phone. On the water when he wasn't watching I picked his phone up and concealed it. It now goes off and he's looking all over for it. I reach in my pocket and ask is this it (the toy phone) and quickly toss it over the side into 20 feet of water! The look on his face was priceless, plus he got the message!

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
Smart people don't need smart phone. All phones now have web browsing, gps, and some other futures like smart phones, just harder to navigate, they want to control you, your brain, every step and every movement.
One of my friends had older flip phone and said that he will die with it but phone company sent him letter about two years ago that they are changing some system and those phones will stop working, he had to go and buy new flip phone with all new futures.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Smart people don't need smart phone. All phones now have web browsing, gps, and some other futures like smart phones, just harder to navigate, they want to control you, your brain, every step and every movement.
One of my friends had older flip phone and said that he will die with it but phone company sent him letter about two years ago that they are changing some system and those phones will stop working, he had to go and buy new flip phone with all new futures.
Been there...done that!

Jan 7, 2013
central Kentucky
My smart phone has increased hunting opportunities and allowed me to learn about western game animals.
Technology opens the door for new people to get involved and my smart phone is not going away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I agree with your statement KyHunter and use it as a tool. However, I don't want to live on it 24/7 like most folks these days.

My smart phone has increased hunting opportunities and allowed me to learn about western game animals.
Technology opens the door for new people to get involved and my smart phone is not going away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
A smart phone is a tool in my job, but I'm old enough to have worked about 15 years without one. I miss those days.