which pack

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
looking at getting a new multiday pack. I'm looking a either a hornhunter or one of the eberlestock packs. I think the hornhunter might have more range of uses. I'm a medium built guy was wondering which one might fit me better.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
One of my friends has an eberlestock pack and he loves it except he said it does make a lot of noise. I have a Badlands SuperDay pack and I love it. It has so many different adjustments on it that you can fit it to you very easily.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the fabric in my Just One (I have the J104, but the J34 is made of the same stuff) has been very quiet. It is advertised as waterproof fabric, but it is more like water resistant. The lightweight rain cover is nice when the heavy rain rolls in.

Jul 28, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah they claim wateproofness for the eberlestock, but i invested in the heavy, reversable cover and it works great. The Mystery Ranch packs seem pretty sweet, but speeennnddyy. Way too expensive IMO.
Ive had my eberlestock weighed down with 60 lbs and found it comfortable. The pack is missing a key feature that all of my other packs have always had. That is a strap that cinches the load down to the hip belt. Usually this strap comes off of where the bottom shoulder strap attaches, and runs to a point on the hip belt that is about half way from the back to the front. The Eberlestock packs do not have this feature. I always used to consider this feature very important. None-the-less the pack seems to work good without it. I have not had the pleasure of loading it down in the 90-100+ lb range yet since this is the first season I have owned it. I am very curious to see if the absence of this feature shows with extreme loads. If so I may have a modification project with my speedy stitcher.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana

Worry not, I don't think you can overload an Eberlestock pack. My pack-out total weight this year was somewhere around 110 pounds.

No problems.

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
I also have a Just One pack. J34 to be exact. I've loaded it down pretty heavy (never weighed it), but it is a workhorse as are all of the Eberlestocks. The J107 and J34 would both be excellent multi-day packs.