Where do you...

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Typically set up to hunt birds?

Todd and I are going to be on the river a lot this year as that is what we primarily have access to. However, if the water levels stay high and fast we are doing our best to line up fields for layout set ups. Ponds aren't in our area in any level of abundance, but that would be our third set up.

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
We flood and hunt a field and some backwater off the North Platte for most the season. We also hunt a few dry field for late season geese when they are hot. Back when I lived in Arkansas we ran up and down the Cache River and White River to hunt timber holes. Still do once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
One of the fields we hunt may have a pretty wet corner. I don't believe that it is going to have any standing water though.

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
Find the field where the birds are feeding every night and hunt that field, exactly where they are feeding. We have real good luck on that. If you can, wait for a windy night to hunt, because it seems like the geese will not circle the spread, but actually land first pass. I gues they don't want the fight the wind. The less time a goose passes your decoys the more likely you will get him has been my experience.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I just hunt them where they are.. Lakes, rivers, oxbows, flooded fields, dry fields. Opening day is a freshly flooded millet field, the ducks have 2 weeks to find it! I'll hunt it quite a bit until the millet is gone, or it freezes, It's a pretty small piece of water, thats pretty well protected, so it will most likely freeze early.
After that, it'll mostly be backwater hidey-holes that mid morning mallards like to use. Hopefully we get some rain to flood the lakes around here, I got quite a bit of scouting done over the summer, and just need a little bit of water.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Slow spots in the rivers, and sandbars early where they loaf/grit, then later in the year the faster stuff that stays open. If the wet part of the field doesn't have water it won't draw them to that part of the field. Rivers can be spotty early to mid season but shine late. Scouting is still key.

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
If you can find a tree line they fly over real low, pass shooting can be a hoot. I know of a couple places I pass shoot a few geese every year Even have pulled a few limits doing this. Taste the same as when they are landing in the decoys. Great challenge also. The key is to find a location where they fly over at that "tree top" height.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Had a decent day on a reservoir on Saturday morning. Lots of birds, just not the right type of weather to get them really moving.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
We hunt in the rice checks in Ca. We have some dug in blinds that are out of the wind and are fairly comfortable.

In Nv I like to walk the river and jump shoot ducks. I used to be a member of a hunt club and we would half ass make a blind out of the john boat, it would work good enough.