When you realize you are getting old!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I know I am getting well up in years, but it really became evident to me today. My son turns 55 today! Seems like just yesterday that my wife and I brought him home from the hospital. Happy Birthday Day to my son Steve. Picture is from a few years ago elk hunting here in Colorado. My dad, son & me. Great times for sure.32916

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I know I am getting well up in years, but it really became evident to me today. My son turns 55 today! Seems like just yesterday that my wife and I brought him home from the hospital. Happy Birthday Day to my son Steve. Picture is from a few years ago elk hunting here in Colorado. My dad, son & me. Great times for sure.View attachment 32916
This is a very cook keepsake, CC! Hard to beat these type of experiences!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Old timer i used to work with told me something ill never forget. He said you know your getting old when you a choice between a piece of a@# and a piece of apple pie and you have to think about it . 🤔
the deciding factor for me would be ..... how big are the pieces?

juz kiddin , fatties need luvin to.

why choose?????? eat dat merican pie

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I'm 53, my brother turns 50 this month...this was the first season not hunting public for Mule Deer. Brother has a bad back and trouble walking long distances...not to mention he can't pack out deer any more. Got access to family friend's ranch...hunted got to use ATV's to get in, and pack them out.

Dad turns 80 in April...shoulder replacement surgery a year ago...he can't point a gun above his shoulder any more.

Getting old sucks...have to change a few things...but still going strong!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Dad turns 80 in April...shoulder replacement surgery a year ago...he can't point a gun above his shoulder any more.

Getting old sucks...have to change a few things...but still going strong!
I've had both shoulders replaced and I solved the problem of offhand shooting by using shooting sticks. I use a Trigger Stick and it doubles as a walking stick too. Might want to give that a try with you Dad.

Last edited:
Reactions: shootbrownelk

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
Your post is timely, deer camp this year took a new meaning for me. My dad and I go to camp in northern Maine and it is in the un-incorporated township area. The only things that change from year to year is the areas of active logging. I was fortunate in that my dad started hunting when I introduced him to it with an antelope hunt years ago in Wyoming. Ive seen him take his first animal and watched the range of emotions as he did it. My dad worked 3 jobs when I was a kid, like many dads who provided for his family so henever hunted when he was younger. I am fortunate that I finally realized he is going to be 80 years old next year and this years hunt/camp was where I saw how age has started catching up to him. His time spent in the woods was far less than in years past and his routine was more consistent. He hunted smaller patches of woods.
The importance of going is still paramount but the get up and go is starting to fade, I guess things do change in deer camp!

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I've had both shoulders replaced and I solved the problem of offhand shooting by using shooting sticks. I use a Trigger Stick and it doubles as a walking stick too. Might want to give that a try with you Dad.
Thanks Cowboy! Dad hasn't done much big game hunting in years...his favorite is waterfowl. Going to be tough problem to solve for sure.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I’m going in for my first ever surgery to relive aches and pains. I have a neuroma in my foot and a torn meniscus in my knee. Luckily I’m getting them both done at the same time and they are in the same leg. I’ve had broken bones, degenerate disc in back but haven’t had surgery yet. Tomorrow I feel like I’m turning the page and am officially old. I’m hoping I can get back to normal after these surgeries. Anyone else have one of these done?