When to increase draw weight

Dos Perros

Jul 1, 2015
I've searched the web and found lots of articles and forum topics on how to adjust a bow's draw weight, but not really much on when to do it?

I assume that, all things being equal, a faster arrow is better than a slower one (within limits). But of course there is a very real trade-off the higher the draw weight, the less time one can hold the bow drawn and accurately hit the target.

So, if one can cleanly and quietly draw their bow, hold it, and hit their target a timed minute later, is it time to increase the draw weight? If not, how long?

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
What distance are you after a minute? If you can hold a minute increase. Honestly crank it up as much as you can as you can draw the bow, aim and hit the target. Also if you can let the bow down in a slow and controlled movement then your at the right weight or can increase.

Make sure your shooting an arrow over 5gpp and the spine is correctly rated at your draw weight or made for higher draw weights. If the spine is too weak your bow won't be accurate. Too stiff is never a problem.

Honestly I prefer a heavier arrow. I'm at a 465 grain arrow at 70lbs draw. I'd rather have an arrow that's a little slower, that'll quiet my bow down and that has the most momentum. Momentum is what will get pass throughs and break bone.

KE isn't somethin you need to worry about and as arrow weight increases KE always increases out to 2000+ grains and so does momentum. The calculators are wrong that there is a sweet spot.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I'd say if you can honestly and confidently say that it will increase your killing efficiency then do it. If you crank it up and accuracy goes out the window, go back down. I shoot a weight and arrow similar to vf, but I have shot a 60 pound bow when I first started and needed to refine my form and skills. A heavier draw weight doesn't mean a cleaner kill. An accurate arrow does.

I talked to a guy one year that was increasing his draw weight by one pound a year to get to 70+. I jumped from 63 to 70 but did it early in the spring and shot 4-5 times a week to get my muscles stronger and accuracy back. Like VF said, make sure you are spines correctly to go up.

Silentstalker

Oct 26, 2013
Utah
I would not go higher then you can pull in compromised positions. ie sitting, kneeling, twisting in a sitting position etc. accuracy kills, often times hunting you will be forced to draw and hold, or draw from non ideal situations. Keep it reasonable and good luck!

Last edited:

jlmoeller

Nov 10, 2012
Iowa
Years ago I read an article by Randy Ulmer, I think. Any way he said put your top pin on the target and draw the bow. If you have to lift your arm, move off the target, arch your back, or any other gymnastics then you are shooting too much weight.
Also, I set my bow under my max weight, because it can be hard to draw when I am cold on those November mornings in Iowa.

Jason Moeller

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
Something to think about....

I recently bought a new bow. I have been shooting a 70 lb Martin Jaguar. It actually pulled at 74lbs when maxed out. It was turned down to 68 lbs. I thought it shot ok. New bow is a Bowtech RPM360. When I bought it the tech wanted to know what lb bow I wanted. I told him I would go with a 70 and turn it down a bit. He told me that they are more accurate and perform better when set at max. I went with a 60lb and couldn't be happier. Picked up almost 15 feet per sec. Very forgiving bow compared to the Martin. I don't know if this just applies to the Bowtech or if it is a common factor among bows. Maybe this has been useful.

Good luck

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
It was mentioned earlier, but being able to let down smoothly is a good test of whether your bow is set to your ability.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I've searched the web and found lots of articles and forum topics on how to adjust a bow's draw weight, but not really much on when to do it?

I assume that, all things being equal, a faster arrow is better than a slower one (within limits). But of course there is a very real trade-off the higher the draw weight, the less time one can hold the bow drawn and accurately hit the target.

So, if one can cleanly and quietly draw their bow, hold it, and hit their target a timed minute later, is it time to increase the draw weight? If not, how long?
I would consider trying a few more pounds given those factors but wouldn't hesitate to turn it back down if accuracy suffers.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
all good points! my sweet spot is 65. my bow arrow combo just shoots best at 65. great advice on this thread, good topic.