When Did You Kill Your First Elk?

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Hey guys! What age were you when you harvested your first elk? Drop your pictures if you have them!!!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I was 20, and hunting elk for the first time.

We could hear them in the canyons below us but there was no access into them unless you jumped off of the edge of the hill and rolled down to where they were at. After a week I got tired of not seeing anything up where we were hunting so I bailed off of the edge and shot one in the bottom. It took me and my nephew two days to pack him out. Now you can drive a car into that canyon.

As for a picture, that was before I could afford to take a camera with me on hunting trips. At that time you left valuable things at home, at least we did.

But here is the rack hanging on my garage close to 50 years later.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I was 13 yrs old back in 1974. It was a spike. It was a cold November in Eastern Oregon. I liked to walk and still hunt, but my dad put me on a stand why the rest of the hunters were doing a drive. My feet got really cold that morning. Once I shot my bull I didn't remember anything about the cold anymore. It's funny how that works. We didn't take many pictures back then. Our group killed 7 bulls that morning. Those were the good old days IMO.

memtb

Hey guys! What age were you when you harvested your first elk? Drop your pictures if you have them!!!
I was 35 in the late fall of 1986, my first year to hunt elk in my new homestate of Wyoming! It was a late season cow hunt, myself and 2 friends saw a group of elk entering the timber from a cut-over. The two of them went directly toward the elk. I was sitting in g center of the truck.......never sit in the center, and was the last one out of the truck. I headed into the timber in an attempt to get ahead of the elk. I found a long, narrow opening .....waiting and hoping! I heard the footfalls of running elk, then the first elk entered the opening. Quickly, determining that the running elk had no antlers.....I touched off a shot, and the elk fell. In mere moments a group of cow elk ran past. It was at that time I realized that I shot a baby. It’s difficult to judge the size of a lone running elk in the timber....with only moments to make a decision! I had an elk on my first season of elk hunting.....but, shooting a calf is a little embarrassing!

No picture available .....I didn’t have a “macro-lense” for my camera! 😂 memtb

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I was never much a picture guy . I doubt there are more then 30 or 40 pics of me in existence .

always been kinda proud about that! it is almost funny.... even when I remember to pack a camera I seldom remember to break it out .. am always more concerned with getting it gutted and packed out I believe I was 23/24 when I killed my first elk. a small 5x5.have killed probly 15 or 20 since . mostly cows . I have never had any luck drawing the bull tags. anymore I don't go much out of my way looking for bone . full freezer and I am content.

my best bull is a 7x7 and would probly score in the neighborhood of 330 or so.

Last edited:

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
2008, I was 28. Before then I didn't have much experience with elk. My ex big boss took me out in 2007 to "play" with the elk in NE NV. Pure dumb luck, but we came upon a herd of 200 cows with 25 bulls screaming their heads off for 3-4 hours. Needless to say I was hooked. Ended up buying OTC in Idaho unit 39 in 2008 and killed this bull. We hunted hard for 7 days, averaging 8 miles per day hiking. We were fittin' to sit for lunch when my buddy spotted this bull across the drainage.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
October 2012 on a guided General tag Wyoming hunt with my father. I was 27 at the time. My profile pic is from that hunt. My father had hunted elk a few times prior but never caught up with one. He was able to shoot the 5X5 right before dark on the first evening. I was able to kill mine the last day of the hunt during a very western morning. Dad wasn't with me that morning and when riding into camp after the pack out and seeing him get emotional that I had killed was something that I will never forget.