When did you kill your first deer?

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I was 14 in 1987 and shot a doe with my dads Winchester model 12. Smooth barrel with bead shooting foster slugs. My how times have changed. I'm now shooting a browning a-bolt 12 guage shooting sabot slugs with a 3x-8 Leupold scope.

Stumbled upon a pic

Last edited:

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Well It took me a while to kill my first deer. My first deer should have been at age 11. Here is the story.

I was in Mississippi visiting my aunt Jo and uncle Pop that lived in Grenada around Christmas. My uncle's sister lived next door and had a son. His name is Sunny Boy. He asked if I wanted to go deer hunting the next morning. Man was I excited. We head out the next morning before light. We get to the area and it is just breaking day light. Uncle Pop lent me his Browning Sweet 16 (He latter left this special shot gun to me when he passed). We take off out in the woods. After a short walk Sunny Boy says " Sit here on this log and watch for a deer. Don't leave this spot and I will be back for you in a little while". Off he goes. It could not have been very long and up walks a nice forked horn buck. It had to be within 10 yards. I pull up the shot gun and pull the trigger. Nothing! Old Sunny Boy had not given me any shells. To this day he will not tell me if he just forgot or intended to not give me the shells.
But I was hooked and learned to hunt on my own as my father did not hunt. Killed my first buck at age 20 the fall of 1986.

MightyMouse

Mar 23, 2021
I shot my first deer, a mule deer doe, when I was 28 years old. It was a humbling experience - after several years of hunting for my first big game animal. Probably the first and last mule deer doe I'll ever harvest, but I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity as a new hunter. Looking forward to the Wyoming draw results! Ready to get back after my favorite mule deer area. I harvested the buck in my profile photo in what has become a favorite unit. Here's to hoping I draw the tag!

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon