whats the best Range Finder

BuckeyeDIY

Mar 13, 2011
Little Hocking, Ohio
I got so much good advice on GPS's, I gotta ask. Whats the; fastest,target aquiring (on an actual animal), angle compensation Range Finder out there? Ive got a Bushnell yardage pro 600, and its only good for less than 300yrds on a neon sign. Im wanting something better, something that will pick up animals like they do on the outdoor channel:confused:

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
I highly recommend the Zeiss Victory PRF. It is the quickest rangefinder I have used so far. You can also hold the button down and it will give you consistent, accurate readings over and over again. This is good for double, triple and quadruple checking your yardage before the shot or ranging game on the run. You'll find that 600 yards is cake with the Zeiss; it's capable of much farther. So, if fast readings is what you're after.. Go Zeiss! It's faster than Leica and Swaro, and believe it or not, the glass is also better than those two.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Well....in light of my recent experiences, I would have to say, the best is the one that works. In order to say it works, I would go as far as to say, it needs to do EXACTLY as its advertised to do EVERY time.
If it cant, its merely a paperweight with alot of fancy options.
Stupid Leupolds.....(oops didnt mean to say that part) LoL

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I love my Leupold RX II but I am a bow hunter, so the animals I am ranging are close. It works good in the rain, and can hold the button down and scan, gives you the temperature, and angle compensates. Even has a ballistic mode. But if I were a rifle hunter I would look at something else that would read further.

thump&dump

Mar 29, 2011
I have been happy with my leica 900. It works great as long as you are not trying to pick up antelope or coyotes in the wide open over a few hundred yards.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Well I just got back from a few days down the hill. Spent a few hours at the Cabelas shop, and played around with the rangeguesser toys.
As some of you know my recent acquisition of a Leupold RX 1000 was to say not to my much anticipated expectations. For my bow hunts, it will do more than fine, but for long-range fun, or rifle shooting, or in snow, its crap.
I love Swarovski glass, haven't bought any but love it non the less. Tried out their LRF and the sales guy immediately said I would not like it. He was right. The indicator is very faint light orange, and washes out in the slightest bit of sun. Albeit you can submerge this puppy, which Im sure would help me out in my bass fishing derbies this summer! Or if I were to take bow hunting to a Vietnam Rambo level and start coming out of the water at full draw on watering bulls......hmm can just see the next Eastmans Bull hunt CONGO style video! LOL
The Zeiss was a bit large, but did work well, and had two buttons. I found the wrong one over and over, thus I don't like it. The clarity and function wasn't bad though.
I did get to fondle the Leicca 1600 CRF model too. LOVE IT! But they didn't let me keep it on that basis only, he said something about paying for it so I put it back for now. The read out is supper clear. The optics are of coarse great, but with the name Leicca on it of coarse it would be. The thing has a temp read out, barometric pressure readings, angle ballistic compensations, and some other features.
Size is almost Identical to my Leupold, and the size is one MAJOR reason I picked the Leupold. The Extra mode button on this Leicca was flat and below the contour of the device, so it didn't get accidentally in the way. The sales guy says its only water resistant, BUT, the package says water proof, and so does the website...so...who's right. Ill go with the manufacture, and after my next CONGO style elk hunt, Ill let them know if they misinformed or not!
So for now it stays on the shelf, till some extra monies come along for me to buy it! But for any one considering a rangefinder, consider what your buying it for. Black LED's suck in the woods, so just don't go cheap. Then get one based on the perceived needs or use you have planned for it.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!!! READ CONSUMER REVIEWS!!! Oh if only I had....

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
thanks Elkoholic, I hadnt really thought about a Zeis
No problem. It seems that a lot of people overlook them. All of their stuff is awesome and very easy to use. Another note on the Zeiss rangefinder is that it ranges on the release of the button which seems to be more accurate. Also, I think the way that it's shaped, you can hold it steadier for longer ranges, than say a Leica. My only complaint is that the aiming circle is a little too big. Sometimes it can be hard pinpointing a small object way out there.

fly4fish

Apr 20, 2011
Hey, I just received my Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaster in the mail yesterday. I took it out to the range this morning and gave it a go. It is the best rangefinder I have ever used and will last me a long time. I went through many cheap rangefinders throughout the years that have under performed and then failed me. I have yet to not get a range on a target that I could hit with my long range set up. I wish I would have bought a nice rangefinder to begin with and would have saved money, but I am glad that I ended up with this one. I can't believe how small, fast, and how accurate it is.

If you can afford it (I can't but I bought it anyway), go with the Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaster. You will not be disappointed!

Here is a website with some good info on rangefinder www.bestforhunting.com

Last edited:

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
I have a Leupold Rx II and last fall it quit, right in the middle of a hunt. Ranged one tree, and the next one "nothing" hasn't worked since and it says the battery is still good !

tikkamike

Banned
May 10, 2011
I highly recommend the Zeiss Victory PRF. It is the quickest rangefinder I have used so far. You can also hold the button down and it will give you consistent, accurate readings over and over again. This is good for double, triple and quadruple checking your yardage before the shot or ranging game on the run. You'll find that 600 yards is cake with the Zeiss; it's capable of much farther. So, if fast readings is what you're after.. Go Zeiss! It's faster than Leica and Swaro, and believe it or not, the glass is also better than those two.
I think elkoholic is a little delusional, i think we all know Leica Geovids are top dog! haha

chuffness

May 7, 2011
I also use Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000. As a western hunter that does a little bit of everything it seems to fit the bill.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Pronghorn73, How far out does that Nikon Monarch read-out....REALLY... Most rangefinders I've seen state that they are accurate to 300 yds on deer sized game....will that nikon range to 800 on deer sized game? How about Leica's? I've used some friend's "Bushys" and a few Leupolds (B&C) and I concluded that both sucked! The Leicas run around a grand or so, correct? I'm leaning toward them...so far!

Pronghorn73

Mar 7, 2011
Franklin, Idaho
You are right shootbrownelk, it will not range a deer at 800 yrds.....but I don't need it to, I would never shoot that far anyway. If I can get a reading on something close by ( rock, tree, bush, side of the mnt, ect.) thats good enough for me. I can get readings on game out to 500-600 yrds.........works for me.

Last edited: