What would be your dream hunt?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If you could pick any hunt, for any animal, anyplace in the world......what would you choose?
Forget about any limitations you might have be it physical, monetary or otherwise. As long as you are dreaming, go for it.

For me it is not an exotic sheep hunt or Africa's big 5, it would be an Antelope Island State Park Mule Deer hunt. Only a couple of tags each year and you are almost garrunteeeed a record book buck. I am and always have been, first and foremost a deer hunter and exclusively Mule Deer. I could go to my maker satisfied that I had reached the top in Mule Deer hunting.

What say you?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
ridlno...🤔.. probably elk in idaho. any elk , bull, cow. size is irrelevant. even success is irrelevant. I have never really felt a desire to travel anywhere else.
I know most hunters these days measure their pipes by the size of bone on the heads of their kills rather then the fact they are providing sustenance for themselves and loved ones . while that bone is cool ,it is meaningless to me, compared to filling my belly.
I've always been content and happy going after whatever I am hunting for in the moment and never felt the desire to travel, when there is so much opportunity within an hour of my home..
guess I am not much of a dreamer.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That Antelope Island deer tag is really what dreams are made of. I have been out there in the fall ogling the bucks that walk that land, but like you say there are only two tags a year. One resident tag from Utah's lottery system and one that is bid on with them going for north of $300,000.

For me I would love to head north for a coastal brown bear and then head over to the Yukon for a stone sheep hunt.

I also wanted to head to Africa but couldn't find anyone else with that dream that would commit until a friend asked me if I had thought about it. He had a hunt planned for the following year and I was all over it. For a full 8 days it was what dreams were made of and I would love to go back. Actually I do need to go back since I didn't bag my warthog that I wanted.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I fulfilled my dream in October of 2016 public land elk hunting in Wyoming with my brother, and dad who has MD along with some other serious health issues. We went 3 for 3 with 1 spike and 2 cows. Always dreamed since I was a kid that hunt would happen, and it wasn't a disappointment!

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I just want a bull elk on the wall before i die. It doesn't have to be big . Im in the same boat as godeep, i have dreamed about it since i was a kid. Once i saw Robert Redford shoot one in Jeremiah Johnson its been in there.... never thought it would be possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shane13

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
That Antelope Island deer tag is really what dreams are made of. I have been out there in the fall ogling the bucks that walk that land, but like you say there are only two tags a year. One resident tag from Utah's lottery system and one that is bid on with them going for north of $300,000.

For me I would love to head north for a coastal brown bear and then head over to the Yukon for a stone sheep hunt.

I also wanted to head to Africa but couldn't find anyone else with that dream that would commit until a friend asked me if I had thought about it. He had a hunt planned for the following year and I was all over it. For a full 8 days it was what dreams were made of and I would love to go back. Actually I do need to go back since I didn't bag my warthog that I wanted.
You mean one like this!

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I already took the animal that would be on the top of the list, that being a mountain goat. Did a DIY hunt in Montana in 1998 and helped my younger brother with his Montana DIY hunt in 1987.

Never really did have a "list" or anything like that, but the few animal I'd like to hunt before the dirt nap would be mountain caribou, stone sheep, Columbia blacktail, interior grizzly, Canada moose, and bison. My top pick would probably be mountain caribou if forced to choose right now.

If I were lucky enough to find success on the above 6 animals, I'd complete all the moose species, all the deer species, a grand slam of NA sheep and have 21 of the 29 NA big game animals.

I've already lived a good number of dream hunts...pure gravy at this point forward and asking for more is almost being greedy.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
My dream critter has always been a monster mule deer. I am fortunate to have been on number of mule deer hunts, and have another one planned for this year. Rather than dream, hope, and save for one great hunt, I try to make every hunt the best experience possible, knowing that it could be my last. I would love to go on a mountain caribou hunt, the longer and tougher the better. JimP. for some reason, my most desired animal to kill in Africa is also a big knobby warthog. Keep looking and I may just tag along with you when we are officially really old farts.

memtb

If you could pick any hunt, for any animal, anyplace in the world......what would you choose?
Forget about any limitations you might have be it physical, monetary or otherwise. As long as you are dreaming, go for it.

For me it is not an exotic sheep hunt or Africa's big 5, it would be an Antelope Island State Park Mule Deer hunt. Only a couple of tags each year and you are almost garrunteeeed a record book buck. I am and always have been, first and foremost a deer hunter and exclusively Mule Deer. I could go to my maker satisfied that I had reached the top in Mule Deer hunting.

What say you?

Actually two...... African hunt, especially for Cape Buffalo in somewhat timbered ( not plains) country. Alaska, for a Coastal Brown Bear. Once that’s done......go back and do them with a handgun! While we’re fantasizing!! 😉 memtb

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy