What was your heaviest load???

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
We packed my bull out last week in 2 trips with 2 guys. First load I did was backstraps, tenders and all neck and rib and trim.

2nd load was a boned out hind and the head, but no cape - euro since smaller bull. 3 miles one way - 1.5 hours w. pack.

My associate forgot my frame pack and I had to do all that crammed into a Badlands 2200, my day pack. It worked but I would not endeavor to repeat that experience with that pack!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
We packed my bull out last week in 2 trips with 2 guys. First load I did was backstraps, tenders and all neck and rib and trim.

2nd load was a boned out hind and the head, but no cape - euro since smaller bull. 3 miles one way - 1.5 hours w. pack.

My associate forgot my frame pack and I had to do all that crammed into a Badlands 2200, my day pack. It worked but I would not endeavor to repeat that experience with that pack!

Pretty amazing how much of a difference a pack that is designed for weight hauling can make. The 2200 has been a staple day pack for many but stepping into the pack frame and load hauling section makes a difference.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Years ago (in my 20s) I shot a smallish bull caribou in Alaska after crossing a mountain and hiking about 6 miles from camp.
I was young and dumb and hunting with my legs instead of my eyes / optics.
I boned him out and got the whole thing into the oversized old pack I was carrying ... didn't even take the horns.
I have no idea how much that pack weighed but it was incredibly heavy. When I'd fall over in the tundra I'd have to take it off before I could get back up. Never again.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
When I was young (18), Myself and a friend hiked the John Muir Trail from start to finish, we took 6 weeks. We weighed our packs when we started out and mine weighed 75#. This was before all the modern gear was invented. Kelty was just on the market and that is what we had. the first few day were a bitch, better when we got used to the altitude. In all we did over 200 miles.

I also used to pack a whole, gutted deer out on my back. Attached the front legs to the rear and made a pack out of it. I have walked several miles that way with a buck that would field dress 125 to 140. Young stud with a lightweight brain!!!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I shot a bull moose 1.5 miles from the boat in the Ontario bush one time. That was a big mistake. I dont know how much my pack weighted each time but I do know it was heavy and I do know that it was raining sideways the entire time...

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I shot a bull moose 1.5 miles from the boat in the Ontario bush one time. That was a big mistake. I dont know how much my pack weighted each time but I do know it was heavy and I do know that it was raining sideways the entire time...
Isn't the rule under a half mile from camp? I haven't done it but I hear that the North Country has a way of looking flat and easy to pack in but reality is much different, especially on the tundra.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
in my 20s ,I would fireman carry my gutted but unskinned mulies.generally not more then a mile at most.tried to do that with a doe last year and only made it a couple hundred yards before I cut it in half and did two trips.

at 50 I just can't do what I did when twenty.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
in my 20s ,I would fireman carry my gutted but unskinned mulies.generally not more then a mile at most.tried to do that with a doe last year and only made it a couple hundred yards before I cut it in half and did two trips.

Ain't that the truth! At 76 I can't do what I used to do at 50! LOL

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co

Ain't that the truth! At 76 I can't do what I used to do at 50! LOL
And the sad thing it isn't going to get any better for us.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I packed out a deer hine quarter, front quarter, both back straps and tenderloins and that pack weight felt perfect to me. I need to bring a small hanging scale to weigh my pack so I can get an idea of weight I like and what I don't like.