What no hunter wants to see

BKhunter50

Jan 14, 2017
Canton, Mississippi
I had to learn everything about hunting from magazines or the school of hard knocks because my father didn't hunt and my grandfather, who was a game warden, died of a heart attach on the job when I was 4 years old. So, needless to say, my beginning years were pretty rough - but I loved it so much that I kept learning and finally have gotten fairly decent at hunting after doing it for 42 years (52 years old).

I once drug a gutted 2 x 2 mule deer out of the mountains in Montana when I was 22 years old. The hair was worn off the front shoulder from the long drag by the time I made it to the truck. But you know what? I had a complete blast on that hunt and did everything legally. I would never shoot a 2 x 2 mule deer now - and if I did shoot a good buck, it would come out boned out in my backpack. My point is these folks may just be some inexperienced hunters having the time of their life. Yes - it's disappointing for a seasoned hunter like yourself to be caught in the middle of all the back an forth foot traffic. I feel for you there. But - it is public land and that sort of thing can happen. When it does, get down and move or offer to help them. We go out and hunt to enjoy ourselves. Try not to let things outside your control ruin your day. Sometimes easier said than done I know. But that's what I try to tell myself when things like this happen to me.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I thought some of our seasoned hunters would pick up on a few things. The woodsmanship was for sure in question with these guys.
First they came by about 20 minutes after first light caring guns in soft cases. They were spraying what I assume was doe pee about every 50 yards. They went on down the trail about another 3/4 mile from the sound of the first shot. This trail does a L shape at about that 3/4 mile from where I was. The second shot came about 200 yards from my stand( how do I know they shot twice. There were two holes in the deer). About 40 minutes after the second shot. The older guy comes back up the trail caring both guns in cases and their gear headed back to the vehicle. I figure he is going to get a deer cart. After another 30 minutes he comes trotting almost a jog back. The only thing he has is a rope. The reason I question their woodsmanship is they were with in 200 yards of the trail. They must have dragged the deer away from the vehicle about 3/4 a mile to get back to the trail. I figure they drug the deer an extra mile and a half. To top it all off once they got to the truck they field dress the deer there.
And some asked if they saw me in the stand. They did not see me or my son that was about 100 yards from me. Now I really got a kick out of this. While under my stand they stopped to take a rest. The Dad I assume says this to the son. "I am sure glad it wasn't a bigger deer. Well um I wish it would have been bigger, but that would be a lot more work".
Hats off to them for tagging a buck. You have to learn. Some just catch on a little faster.
hell , all that sounds like the "average" hunter. the majority out there are idiots. don't believe me?? hunter orange! nuff said.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Almost 20 years ago on opening day of deer season in the sunlight basin around 10 a.m. from my glassing spot I watch an older husband and wife dragging 2 deer, they were all of a mile still from the road.
I abounded my plans an went and packed out their deer because they really didn't know what the heck they were doing, and honestly I was afraid they'd have a stroke before they got those deer to the road. They never would have learned how to do it the easy way if someone wasn't willing to show them. They tried giving me money, gear, beer, food, to which I happily declined. They were tickled to death that I took time out of opening day to help them out. Not everyone is a seasoned pro that knows all the tricks, we all had to learn somehow, and most of us didn't learn from a public shaming on an internet forum.
that was a stand up thing to do. kudos to you, sir.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Just to make clear I do not hold anything against the two guys. I am happy for them to have success. I had explained to my son before we got there what to expect hunting public land. I have killed 3 nice bucks from that very spot. All 3 were mature bucks in the 130 class range. I just kinda got a kick out of the show and thought I would share it.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Interesting - glad those two got one. Gotta start somewhere and they got out and made it happen.