What Is Your Go To Hunting Knife?

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
Browning Kodiak FDT. They have been my go-to hunting knives for over 20 years. Not sure if they still make them or not.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Some kind of gerber set and a havalon about 3" long. I dont care for the gut hook. Its a bit dangerous. But the case sharpener is on point...I sharpen my knives every few minutes.

That havalon is pretty sweet. Not going to lie. It will make short work of things. RAZOR sharp.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It all depends on what I feel like packing for the hunt.

I have a Gerber Gator that sees a lot of use

I have a Havelon that works also, but mostly for capeing a animal.

My Outdoor Edge also sees a lot of uses along with a Browning RMEF razor blade knife.

Then there is my Buck Woodsman if I am feeling nostalgic along with my Buck 110.

My Old Timer folder has seen a lot of work ever since I won it in a drawing. I had a choice between a hunting vest and the knife and I made the best decision.

Then I also have a dozen or so pocket knifes. Anywhere from a Buck Pony lock back up to 3 and 4 blade ones.

I have a wood box that my nephew gave me one Christmas and it is plum full of knifes of all different descriptions. When people ask me if I have enough knifes I just tell them that knifes are like guns. Keep buying them until they put you under.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
My Bob Dozier Pro Guide has become my favorite. I also carry a Benchmade Altitude if I might cape something. I almost always euro mount animals for the shop now though, house walls are full.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I intentionally left my hunting knife behind on my last DIY mule deer hunting trip, initially as a weight saving for the brutal pack-in, but also to force me to use the disposable blade knives that I recently got. They did the job for my partner's deer, but I truly missed my A.G. Russell 3 3/8" drop point knife. From here on forward, I will never leave home without it. I will have the smaller Havalon for capeing.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I was once asked if I had a knife on my person. I then asked that person what type of knife would they like?

Just about every day I have a Buck Pony in my pocket along with a Leatherman Wave multi tool on my hip. When I am hunting I'll add another more purposeful knife for the hunting chores. I'll then have at least a couple of light weight knifes in my pack.

I have used the Leatherman multi tool to break down a number of elk and deer for the pack out. While the saw on them is short and takes a while to get through a bone if needed it can be done.

You can never have too many knifes with you. But if the weight starts to add up you might look at leaving a couple at home.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I butchered an entire moose in 2' of water with a leatherman one year.....with one eye closed. Literally.

Dont ask....lol

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
I have 2 eastmans Outdoor Edge knives. The original bigger one and the recent smaller one. Thats all i use and i love em. They work great on hogs too.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
of my hundreds of knives ,my old timer 60t is still my go to knife. holds an edge well and is easy to sharpen. I am not a fan of the thick blade knives but will concede they hold up better when using as a screwdriver or a hammer :D .

the outdoor edge throwaway blades are nice for sharpness and convenience of replacing blade if it does go dull in field but it is nice to have a backup to them also.

Reactions: Winchester

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Not even sure where to start on this one as I am not entirely sure that you can have too many knives...

Leatherman Multi Tool - I have used one of these regularly, in particular when I used to mow lawns as a side hustle.

Outdoor Edge Razor Bone - I have used all of the replaceable blade knives from OE over the years working here and they work great on breaking down the animals.

Reactions: kidoggy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
That sucker is sharp I will give it that! lol Testing will happen in two weeks in MT. Hopefully.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
My wife's pretty sure you can have too many knives - at least she always says I do! :D

Last year I was in love with the Havalon Piranta because of its extremely low weight compared to other replaceable-blade options. But they're admittedly fragile knives (blades are easy to snap) and the blades are hard to replace. While I was out hunting, I found and brought home an antler from a spike bull, and my wife surprised me for my birthday this year by sending it away to a custom knife maker (Griska Knives). Here's what he made, I was obviously blown away:

Here's his Instagram if you want to see other knives he's done:
https://www.instagram.com/griskaknives

The two above are in different steels. The larger one has a thick spine and is D2 tool steel, while the smaller is a pukka-style with a spring-steel blade. Both are razor sharp and have fitted leather sheaths. They're so beautiful I barely want to use them - I can't stop looking at them.

That said, I also still have a "thing" for replaceable-blade options (and a knife addiction) so I recently picked up a Havalon Talon. I feel like it's a good compromise: it's replaceable, but with thicker blades and a stouter, fixed handle and the blades are much easier to replace. That's what's in my kill kit now. It's not perfect - in particular Havalon REALLY needs to get its act together on blade storage and disposal (Gerber nails this one IMO). But I like it.