What is your go to elk rifle / ammunition combo?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Each person shoots what they have found to work the best for them. The Ballistic Tips shoot very accurate out of my rifle plus with one load I shoot antelope, deer, bear, and elk. It is about confidence in your equipment and your ability to use it.
Tray, I agree with you for the most part. I guided for years and have hunted elk personally for 30 years. I have seen a lot of elk killed with different caliber and bullet combinations and bullet placement/confidence are one of, if not the, most important factors. A ballistic tip will absolutely kill an elk if the shooter does his part. Unfortunately I have seen a few occasions where less than adequate bullets failed to cleanly take an elk. Those are sad days and I do my part to help others avoid that- my main reason for commenting.

I also hunt with just one bullet for everything. I shoot a 165 grain interbond out of a 30-06 for all big game. I have found I have less damage to meat by using a controlled expansion bullet on antelope and deer sized game while still having great performance on elk.

Reactions: Winchester

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Hi Tray, welcome to the forum. Hate to send a negative response to your first message but hope to save you a wounded elk. Here is a quote directly from Nosler- "ballistic tips are not for elk. They are designed for smaller game. The ballistic tips expand faster and don't penetrate deep enough for
This has not been my experience with BT's.

My nephew shot this one, 70 yards, busted the near shoulder, broke a rib, caught just under the hide in front of the off-side shoulder...120 grain ballistic tip from a 7-08 MV 2825...

Recovered bullet:

Another one he shot last year, same rifle, bullet, yada yada...235 yards. Bullet went in about 6 inches behind the shoulder, broke ribs in and out, exited the front of the off shoulder, you can see the exit in the picture:

This year also, a cow I shot with my 6mm and a 95 grain ballistic tip...120ish yards. About six inches behind the near shoulder, bullet lodged just under the hide on the offside after breaking the shoulder blade, lost the core, but the jacket was still pretty well intact. Broke a rib on the entrance side or I'm sure the bullet would have exited.

Bullet just under the hide:

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Each person shoots what they have found to work the best for them. The Ballistic Tips shoot very accurate out of my rifle plus with one load I shoot antelope, deer, bear, and elk. It is about confidence in your equipment and your ability to use it.
IME, and from the animals I've shot and seen shot with the 7mm with both the 120 BT and 150 BT...you wont be having any problems.

I've shot some animals with the 140 BT as well from the 7mm and never had a problem with them either.

If you cross section the bullets though, you'll find that both the 120 and 150 have a thicker jacket near the solid base than the 140...why?

Have no idea, but both the 120 and 150 BT's are hell for stout.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Buzz, can't argue with the results. Basing my opinion of the manufacturer recommendations, ballistics tests, and one cow elk that had poor penetration on a direct shoulder hit at fairly close range. The elk was recovered after a follow up shot. First shot would have done the job but may have taken a minute. I just prefer a bonded bullet.

Reactions: Winchester

trayball20

May 30, 2013
Buzz, I have a cup full of bullets that look like the ones you have pictured above. Ballistic Tips work really well for me and I know other bullets work well for other people just personal preference.

Reactions: Hilltop and BuzzH

memtb

My wife and I, each have “only” 1 hunting rifle for all of our big game hunting! Hers: Win. Model 70 (New Haven) SS, “Tupperware” stock, in .338 WM, 225 TTSX’s@ 2950 FPS. Mine : semi-custom Win. Model 70, .375 AI, 250 TTSX’s @ 3130 FPS. Both rifles wearing Leupold 3.5-10 CDS scopes , in Leupold QR base/rings, zero’d @ 300 yards. Both rifles have Leupold 2.5-8 scopes zero’d, and ready for a back-up.....should it be needed! These have been our hunting rifles since the early ‘90’s, and we’ve used “only” Barnes Bullets also since the early ‘90’s! memtb

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
So, I would like to chime in a little on this one. I have killed elk w/ a bow, muzzle loader, & a rifle..

I shot a 4 point bull w/ a 50# browning bantom bow in 1988 w/ a old satellite broad head went through the ribs, but I also hit a 6 point bull w/ the set up in the front shoulder and the dang thing basically hit the blade, bent the broad head & just bounced back out.

I have killed elk w/ a 54 & 58 cal muzzle loader. Lost 1 due to shot placement too far back.. Using round balls & conical bullets.

Rifle: 6mm, 7-08, 7mm mag, 30-06, 338 RUM, 30-30. Corelok bullets, sierra, Speer Grand slam & BT, Nosler ballistic tips, bergers VLD, hornady amax.

Usually the only pass through was w/ the Grand Slam bullets didn't matter which caliber.
The BT bullets never passed through. And some just flew apart when pushed @ higher speeds.

So my rule of thumb is softer bullets w/ lighter caliber is in the rib cage. Never had a problem. Grant it the elk travel farther when hit but still die. Heavy caliber tough bullets can break stuff easier & knock them down on the spot..

In conclusion, i believe what ever the person is shooting, has great confidence in the weapon, knows the limitations of the weapon, disciplined enough to know that " my gun is not capable of doing that" kind of shot, & is accurate w/ it there is no reason why you can't use it.

Case in point I used a 30-30 to kill a 5 point but knew my max range was 150 yards & only broad side shots. I used a 338 ultra mag and know my max range is 800 yards & have killed several bulls w/ it knowing i can hit tough bone w/ challenging angles & still knock them down.

Go out with what you have , be realistic about your weapon & capabilities and have good time.. :geek:

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
For me the perfect elk rifle/cartridge is my Remington 7mm mag with 175 grain Core-Lokt bullets. It also happens to be the same rifle I use for hunting everything else using 150 grain bullets.

Reactions: xtreme

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
My favorite elk rifle used to be my model 70 Winchester stainless classic in .375 H&H magnum using 235 grain Barnes X bullets. Now since my neck fusion surgery coupled with arthritis in both shoulders I switched to a model 660 Remington carbine in .243 shooting 100 grain Nosler partitions, and I'm picky about the shots I take out of necessity.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM pushing 180 Nosler Accubonds has been my go-to for the last 8 years. I have thought about upgrading the rifle but I haven't found a left handed rifle in 300 WSM that I like.

I also use a Thompson Center Omega with Blackhorn 209 pushing a Barnes TMZ Spitfire 250 gr. Incredible accuracy for a muzzleloader.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
PS-

I think a .338 PRC with OAL magnum length could be pretty amazing! maybe this or similar already exists?

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Older shooter is staying with 7mm. I shoot lots of 168 gr Berger’s and under a 5 inch shot group at 600yds. Some hunting areas I like Remington Core-Lott’s usually 150 gr. Thick timber I like 175 gr

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I can't remember if I have chimed in on this one, but this thing is an evolution so here it goes. My choice for the last few years has been a 200 grain Hornady ELD-X. I haven't needed to handload it as the Precision Hunter package as a whole has done very well. Most of the elk I have shot with it would not have required a follow up shot.