What Is Your Favorite All Around Caliber...And Why????

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
And because we love to shoot we will keep buying them and keep the industry looking for new options.
And there’s tahat too!
Funny how our addictions/hobbies fuel whole industries.

That and giant military contracts...
For myself I just like the appeal of different calibers for different purposes. As I mentioned I like my .340 for a all around cartridge. But for specific animals I'll pick one of the smaller ones that I have from a .25 caliber up to a .30 caliber, I have quite a few of those in between ones.

Lately I have been on the .25 bandwagon. Before that it was the 7mm/284, and before that it was the .30's that suited me.

Granted there isn't a one size fits all caliber or round for the majority of North American game and how boring it would be if we all just had to shoot a .30-06 or a .243?

Reactions: Sawfish

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
I would not want a 243 for all game even though I did kill a bear with my 243wssm. I can do anything with my 7mm from coyote to elk. I will never have a moose tag and also would not solo spot and stalk bear with the 243.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I researched the hell out of this topic back in 2001 when buying my first new rifle. Lefty, so my options pretty limited in factory offerings -- 30-06, 7 MAG, 270 Win, 300 MAG and I think .243.

Buddy pressed for the 300 MAG, but I a recoil wimp. Decided on the 30-06.

It's not sexy, but wide range of bullets, easy to find bullets pretty much any where, not too heavy, okay on recoil, and just plain gets the job done.

Gun manufacturers are smart people...always coming out with the latest and greatest, always finding ways to get us to purchase more. I don't own a ton of guns, but what I do have suits my needs perfectly.

Next purchases are a new pack, lefty bow, and spotting scope.

Spudman

Jun 12, 2017
Idaho
My go to is my Lazzeroni .284 Firebird...preforms great on antelope, deer, black bears and elk...great sheep round too (if I ever get drawn). For anything larger then elk, I'll have to get a new gun! HAHA

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
30-06 is a great choice for versatility and ammo availability. Throw in handloads even better. I really enjoy shooting the 30-06, my rifle is very accurate (sub 0.5") with handloads, full loads have a mild recoil compared to the 300 WM.

The 300 WM is a great choice especially if you reload. With reloading, I go can full tilt or reduce loads to hot 30-06 velocities if I were concerned about recoil or wanted a slower velocity for light game.

If I had to pick ONLY ONE I would pick the 300 WM for the reasons mentioned.
Since I don't have to pick one I usually reach for the 30-06.

Last edited:

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I researched the hell out of this topic back in 2001 when buying my first new rifle. Lefty, so my options pretty limited in factory offerings -- 30-06, 7 MAG, 270 Win, 300 MAG and I think .243.

Buddy pressed for the 300 MAG, but I a recoil wimp. Decided on the 30-06.

It's not sexy, but wide range of bullets, easy to find bullets pretty much any where, not too heavy, okay on recoil, and just plain gets the job done.

Gun manufacturers are smart people...always coming out with the latest and greatest, always finding ways to get us to purchase more. I don't own a ton of guns, but what I do have suits my needs perfectly.

Next purchases are a new pack, lefty bow, and spotting scope.
I DISAGREE. If it's accurate, can hunt anything in NA, pleasant to shoot with mild recoil, find ammo anywhere, and has been getting the job done for 100+ years, then the 30-06 meets my definition of SEXY.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'm calling BS on that round taking a rabbit!! Pics or it never, ever happened! :p :p
Sorry, can't provide a photo but I have taken a couple hares with it. They didn't require a follow-up shot! That was back when I lived in Kodiak. Got one pine marten too! Some things are just best left un-photographed!
We're a couple rungs short of being the top of the food chain on Kodiak...thus the .375 went with me a lot!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Sorry, can't provide a photo but I have taken a couple hares with it. They didn't require a follow-up shot! That was back when I lived in Kodiak. Got one pine marten too! Some things are just best left un-photographed!
We're a couple rungs short of being the top of the food chain on Kodiak...thus the .375 went with me a lot!
LOL :p :p

spotnstalk1

Mar 7, 2011
www.facebook.com
Don't have a "favorite" because I haven't shot enough of them but I just picked up a 6.5-300 Wby mag and I'm hoping little sucker will impress me! I'm a fan of the 6.5mm bullet in general.

Reactions: Sawfish

RJW

Jan 2, 2013
wapiti, wy
centerfire, Id go 30-06, with a hammonds it works on grouse to grizz,

all around best caliber is .62 smoothbore, I prefer flintlock, again, grouse to bison, it works fine and is fun as heck.

that's my choices for hunting

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
I'd have to go with a .300 win mag. as the best all around. Used to be my first and only for that very reason. I'm sure glad that now I have a 7mag and a 338 mag. Now the .300 sees less field time than either.
I can't speak for the .375 AKaviator, but the .338 makes for some "better left unphotographed" snowshoe hares as well....but I took one anyways!
IMG_20171220_214305092.jpg

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
By the way.. there's nothing better than snowshoe hare kabobs. At least when you've been living on Lipton noodles and peanut butter sandwiches for the better part of two months!!
IMG_20171220_220207973.jpg

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'd have to go with a .300 win mag. as the best all around. Used to be my first and only for that very reason. I'm sure glad that now I have a 7mag and a 338 mag. Now the .300 sees less field time than either.
I can't speak for the .375 AKaviator, but the .338 makes for some "better left unphotographed" snowshoe hares as well....but I took one anyways!
View attachment 20528
Nice shootin'!!

Aught6Fan

Feb 25, 2013
Eastern WA
all around best caliber is .62 smoothbore, I prefer flintlock, again, grouse to bison, it works fine and is fun as heck.
Can't disagree with that! Love my NSW NW Trade gun. Still trying to get used to that flinchlock tho!!!

As for modern, if rooting out wounded big bears in a thicket is off the menu, the .30-06 with 180 gr. Nosler Partition.