What is Trophy Hunting?

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
A coworker of mine went w his then GF to S Africa, did a sight seeing safari and absolutely loved every aspect of it.

My cousin was talking about a fishing safari on some river over there. Trying to get his wife and us to consider going.

I'm sure it would be an exceptional trip in every regard.
Sorry man but that's just a vacation, not a hunt. My in-laws, who don't hunt, cannot understand why my wife and I plan ALL of our trips/vacations around either hunts or fishing trips. Life's too short to take "vacations" without hunting or fishing in them.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Sorry man but that's just a vacation, not a hunt. My in-laws, who don't hunt, cannot understand why my wife and I plan ALL of our trips/vacations around either hunts or fishing trips. Life's too short to take "vacations" without hunting or fishing in them.

Back when I got married we took our honeymoon to the big island over in Hawaii. My new bride hated it when we went out fishing and then when she seen me talking to a outfitter about a wild boar hunt I almost lost my manhood.

The funny thing was that she was OK doing all the things that she wanted to do but hated what I would like to do. Funny how someone can change once that little ring is placed on their finger.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Back when I got married we took our honeymoon to the big island over in Hawaii. My new bride hated it when we went out fishing and then when she seen me talking to a outfitter about a wild boar hunt I almost lost my manhood.

The funny thing was that she was OK doing all the things that she wanted to do but hated what I would like to do. Funny how someone can change once that little ring is placed on their finger.
And that little ring probably ended up costing you more than all of your hunting trips combined.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
After my wife and I got married we planned a deer hunt in Montana, shortly after receiving our license in the mail (mid April) we found out that she was pregnant. By the time hunting season came around she was almost 8 months along. She said she was feeling good and still wanted to go so we went. I shot a 4x4 mule deer and she shot a 3x3. It was an awesome trip and something we'll always remember. Especially when we ran into a rattle snake, neither of us do well around snakes.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I am not sure what trophy hunting is but I find if you live, trust, and enjoy the process as a life choice that many trophies of various sizes usually find a way on to the garage wall or better yet into the freezer..

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
My family is primarily meat hunters except for a window from October 25-November 25. Before and after is when we fill the freezer, but during that period is when we focus on trophy hunting. For us, a trophy is either our best animal, or at least better than the average for the area we hunt. It’s not about inches, rather how excited we are when we first see it

Reactions: THelms

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
After my wife and I got married we planned a deer hunt in Montana, shortly after receiving our license in the mail (mid April) we found out that she was pregnant. By the time hunting season came around she was almost 8 months along. She said she was feeling good and still wanted to go so we went. I shot a 4x4 mule deer and she shot a 3x3. It was an awesome trip and something we'll always remember. Especially when we ran into a rattle snake, neither of us do well around snakes.
Pure Gold!

Reactions: dan maule

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Was kicking back watching a show with my wife after the kiddos were in bed last night and we got to admiring the shoulder mount of her bull. That led us to reminiscing about the hunt... very little time, new unit, first year of marriage... we set goals before the season began (she wanted a 330+ bull) and crushed them. Super proud of that bull and those accomplishments. We grew as a couple on that hunt more than in just about any other way possible... it takes fire to forge iron.

We also killed four elk total that fall, spreading the meat around through family, friends and community but that meat is long gone and her bull remains, hanging on the wall to remind us of the time we shared, the goals we met and the hunt we enjoyed, together.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
We also killed four elk total that fall, spreading the meat around through family, friends and community but that meat is long gone and her bull remains, hanging on the wall to remind us of the time we shared, the goals we met and the hunt we enjoyed, together.
That to me is what I consider trophy hunting, having an animal on the wall that you can look at and share the memory with family and friends. You summed up what trophy hunting is too me better than I ever could. Thank You!

MightyMouse

Mar 23, 2021
Trophy hunting to me simply means selective harvest. The hunter is seeking something beyond the average animal. What that something is can be defined differently by each hunter.
I really like that definition. Trophy quality is in the eye of the beholder.

brocha

May 2, 2021
Trophy hunting is a specific type of hunting where a portion of the animal is kept as a souvenir to memorialize the experience. It is not illegal, as poaching is, but there is certainly a debate that surrounds the practice.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The biggest problem with the phrase Trophy Hunting is that is congers up the impression that all the hunter is after is the "trophy" itself and none of the meat, which couldn't be further than the truth.

A person goes to Africa to "trophy hunt" he isn't allowed to bring any of the meat home due to USDA rules and regulations. However 95% of that animal is consumed or used in one way or another by the local community.

memtb

We can darn near eat anything.....therefore almost all hunting is “meat hunting”! For myself, Trophy hunting means taking an animal that “I” have determined it to be a “trophy” Obviously any animal making book would be a trophy! Then it comes down to the animal taken and what weapon used! Example: With a rifle I’d consider a BC 80 plus right Antelope (Pronghorn) a trophy.....if taken with a handgun, now I’m happy with a BC 70 score!

It’s all relative! 😉 memtb