what gun do you use on sheep????

sdcowboy

Jul 10, 2012
NC south dakota
I booked a dall sheep hunt and i was wondering which gun to take? I have a 308 win and a 300 win mag, both shoot sub moa. In most of the stories that i have read most shots are under 300yards. I never shot a sheep before and i am wondering what calibers are you useing and why.

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
Both will kill a sheep Bo problem. I would do as stated above, whichever gun you are more comfortable with and if they are equal in that aspect the lighter of the 2.

sdcowboy

Jul 10, 2012
NC south dakota
my biggest fear is with my 300 blowing a huge hole in the cape. I've read a few stories where that has happened. That is something I DO NOT WANT!!!! I am shooting 168 berger through my 308 and 185 bergers through my 300.
I have shoot alot of deer with both at 300 plus yards and haven't had a problem with big holes but at yards under that I'm a little worried about my 300.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have used Bergers on a few critters, and they haven't done much cape damage.

That said, if cape damage concerns are a top priority, I would load up some Barnes TTSX. I have had good luck getting them to shoot.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Your .308 should be plenty of rifle, on the other hand I don't think you will have a problem with the .300. BB gave you some good advice, on selecting another bullet. Take the gun you are most familiar with would be my advice.

My family has killed about 10 rams, 9 were with a .270, and one was with a .300 WSM. Most shots were 200 yards, but sometimes you do get in a situation where you are on one ridge, the sheep are on the opposite ridge, and the only option is to shoot across the basin.

sdcowboy

Jul 10, 2012
NC south dakota
distance on either gun isn't much concern both will shoot past 600 easy. thanks everyone for the info. I am thinking that the 308 is the way to go, it is a little lighter.

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
my biggest fear is with my 300 blowing a huge hole in the cape. I've read a few stories where that has happened. That is something I DO NOT WANT!!!! I am shooting 168 berger through my 308 and 185 bergers through my 300.
I have shoot alot of deer with both at 300 plus yards and haven't had a problem with big holes but at yards under that I'm a little worried about my 300.
The 300 WM itself won't ruin your cape but the Bergers might. Load up some Barnes in that 300 and you won't have a problem.

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
By the way, if you look for the thread titled, "Most versatile caliber for North America?" under the General Hunting section, you will find a comparison I did between Barnes and Bergers using a couple unlucky foxes as the examples.

sdcowboy

Jul 10, 2012
NC south dakota
i've tried the barnes triple shock in my 300, it didnt like it, which led me to the bergers. I may try some hornady interlocks. had good luck with them in my 243. is a sheeps hide similar to a deer or antelope? I was shooting a 168 berger through my 300 and have never a large exit wound in any of them. The only reason i went to the 185 is i got a Huskamaw scope and get more yards out of the turret.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
My dall sheep in grizz country rifle would be a semi light 300wsm.

which is lighter? which are you more comfy with?

neither gun with a TSX bullet will destroy a cape I don't think.

Isn't it time for a new sheep rifle anyway ?? haha.
lightweight 280rem?

sdcowboy

Jul 10, 2012
NC south dakota
kida overlooked the thought of thought of running into a griz. Thinking the 300 is the way to go. the wife my feed me to a griz if i got a new rifle

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Hey sdcowboy,
Figured I'd jump in. I myself would go with the 300 wim mag . flatter shooting especially with heavier bullets. Like Bitteroot and others, I'd shoot Barnes TTSX or TSX. I know you said they didn't work well . If you are thinking of Hornady Interlock, I'd think more of the Hornady Interbond. Tougher bullet IMO. I've shot both and the Interbond will not come apart like the Interlok. Also the Nosler Accubond or Swift Sirroco. They are both bonded also. The Barnes TTSX and TSX and Accubond 180 gr. are extremely accurate of of my 300 RUM. The Interbond is pretty good and the Scirroco not very good. The Barnes 168 gr. TTSX and TSX match . They shot very good also. I shot my desert bighorn with a Barnes TSX at 306 yds. He did an endo and was DOS.

Last edited:

boulderbeardog

Jul 25, 2012
Montana
A friend of mine(lazy j bar o outfits name) is an outfitter in Alaska and all he uses on anything are 180 gr bergers out of his 7mm mag. I have never heard of any problems of him destroying capes. Also one of my snowmobile buddies guides for him and saids any more he prefers to see guys with bergers because they generally don't leave an exit wound. Also due to fragmentions of bullet a poor hit generally turns into a dead animal sooner. I also know though that they are tied to the best of west guys some how, so may be salemanship. I have used bergers for about 8 years now and am starting to perfer them to anything. I also know that your guide would have gun just for taking care of bears. So you should be fine if you want to go with lesser caliber. I have know two guys who went after dall sheep and the outfitters told them to go with the heavier caliber in both cases. I still think though that they perfer whichever gun you shoot better. Contact your outfitter and see what he recommends. I know they always like to see the stuff that works well for them in past show up with client.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
A friend of mine(lazy j bar o outfits name) is an outfitter in Alaska and all he uses on anything are 180 gr bergers out of his 7mm mag. I have never heard of any problems of him destroying capes. Also one of my snowmobile buddies guides for him and saids any more he prefers to see guys with bergers because they generally don't leave an exit wound. Also due to fragmentions of bullet a poor hit generally turns into a dead animal sooner. I also know though that they are tied to the best of west guys some how, so may be salemanship. I have used bergers for about 8 years now and am starting to perfer them to anything. I also know that your guide would have gun just for taking care of bears. So you should be fine if you want to go with lesser caliber. I have know two guys who went after dall sheep and the outfitters told them to go with the heavier caliber in both cases. I still think though that they perfer whichever gun you shoot better. Contact your outfitter and see what he recommends. I know they always like to see the stuff that works well for them in past show up with client.
That's a good point there BBD. The Berger's probably have a lot less chance on exiting. The Barnes on the other hand have a lot more chance on exiting and could have two holes instead of one. I've seen taxidernist do some great work on holes I've had in capes.
I would still lean to the flatter shooter.
sdcowboy,
I should send you my Scirroco's .I've tried a lot of different powder combinations and never come close to the Barnes or Accubond. I weigh all the Barnes too. They have weight varience problems...Not Nosler and Hornady though.

Last edited: