What do you look for in a spotting scope?

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
The article in the most recent Eastmans' has me looking around at spotting scopes, and when I search I have not seen this exact question brought up:

When you are looking for a spotting scope, what do you look for. How do you evaluate that scope, and what are the features that you have to have, what are those that are nice to have, and what those features you would pass on.

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Evaluate them by using at dusk side by side with others, reviews, and customer service reviews. Finding the best optical performance is the main feature I am interested in. After that there are lots of other factors to take into account such as warranty, focus nobs, angle or straight eyepiece, zoom range, obj diameter (affects weight, light gathering, size), price, resale prices, brand recognition, cost of accessories (cases, digiscoping brackets), ect ect. Most of these other factors are personal preference and may also depend on the type of hunting you do.

I don't think there are many features that are offered with some scopes but not others. The only features I can think of that may not come standard with some scopes are a view finder and sun shade. The bells and whistles (if there are any) of a spotter are largely the same from brand to brand except for the price and optical clarity.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
One thing is a lifetime warranty and a company that backs it. I have had an excellent experience with Swarovski in the warranty end of things and so far a very good experience with Vortex. Hard to beat those brands.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
Low light performance and blur comparisons at 50x and up. Once you crank glass up past 50x you really can see the difference. Most glass gets cloudy or blurry at those powers.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

This morning we used the Dialyt from Zeiss, it is an office favorite. Brandon and Ike really like that it is tough as nails.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
What do you look for in a spotting scope?…...I look for deer in a spotting scope.

I was reading the recent topics and that is my 15 year old son's reply was. It made me laugh. It will probably make you groan.

EDIT: I see post #6 beat us to the joke…lol.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
If you were hunting antelope would you still look for deer or elk in your spotting scope? LOL! I was just thinking sometihng like that too and both of ya beat me to it!