What do you do with 35mm slides?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I used to take almost all slides with my 35 mm SLR Camera. I have literally several thousand of them. Lots are hunting pictures. I am starting to go thru them and trash lots of them, but want to save some too. I suppose they can be converted to digital format.

Any of you do this?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One of my nephews is doing this to all of his dads and grand dads pictures. He picked up a converter that will convert them to digital and then save them on a memory disk which can then be transferred to a computer or a CD.

The last time that I talked to him about it he said that he only does a couple hundred at a time before he is tired of it and gives it up for a few weeks. I am sure that there are places that would do it for you if you don't want to tackle it yourself.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
A few years ago I had a photo shop put them onto a DVD. That's probably getting out of date but it worked well. There should be plenty of shops that can transfer to a better format.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
My sister did it with all of our pictures from our childhood. She lives in a small town in Montana and she went to the local library and did them there. It took her a few trips to get them all done. Now they all fit on a thumb drive. Crazy.
I’ll bet a Kinko’s or somewhere similar could do them too.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
My sister rented equipment from https://store.ezphotoscan.com/pages/rental-products-overview to scan over 12,000 old photos (all the families photos going back to the 1930's. Took her about a week. The company also offers converters for 35mm slides. I bet she had 30 of the old time photo albums she was able to pitch. On some of the nicer ones of our parents and grandparents she was able to use photoshop to increase the quality.

Its important to keep backups of all your photos as well. I keep all my photos on an external hard drive that i have synced to Google Photos. The photos are then backed up in the cloud. The great thing about google photos is that I have access to my entire set of 30,000+ from my computer or smart phone as long as I have an internet connection. Google photos has some great searching cability, it has facial recognition so that I can search all photos that have my daughter in them for example. Or all photos that have deer in them and it pulls up all my trophy shots. It makes is really easy to share photos and you can assign multiple folks as admins so that when you go to the pearly gates the photos don't travel with you.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Showing my age here. I had to google what a 35 MM slide was. lol

I didn't have much file developed when I was a kid. We were too broke for pictures. My first deer picture was a stick figure drawing...lol

Reactions: Winchester