What’s Everyone Doing?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Yup, I agree with you Tim. But we got the flip side of that last year with record snowfall in NE MN. Am headed to Island Park in a few weeks, and I too hope for a big dump before we get there. Ride on.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Working to build leave time and save money for a busy spring and fall hunting season. Also trying to keep up with all these grand kids! Just had two more grandsons born within a month of each other and found out we have another one on the way from my other son. We have 8 of those little guys/gals now with the oldest being 7 and the youngest 1 week :)

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
That's some nice work Mallard. What is the log on your sawmill?
It was a Poplar.

I like poplar because it's easy to saw and doesn't have sap like pine, so I don't have to run water when I am cutting it.
When poplar dries (as long as it doesn't have knots) it's pretty strong and it accepts motor oil very well.

Best part of it is that it grows fast, its long and straight, has minimal limbs and not much taper. Plus, I have a ton of it on my property and my fathers-in-law's property.

I need to cut a few longer logs this week to saw up and get the top build on the sawmill and to build the dock at the pond. The 2x4's were just for the purlins.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
We have a lot of poplar in NE MN, and we commonly call it "popple". The proper name is aspen, both bigtooth and quaking. I suspect that your wood is a bit different though. Most of the commercial use is to make paper and OSB. Saw on.

Last edited:
Reactions: mallardsx2

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
The wife and I are headed up to the cabin for the weekend to celebrate Valentines Day.
we have been doing this for the last 3 years. Sometimes we go out to eat or I’ll make us some ribeyes and the goods to go with it. This year she wants to try a restaurant at a golf course we haven’t been to.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I'm going up to my cabin to prep a small field for 12 chestnut trees I ordered from gurney. Going to go with cages instead of grow tubes. Bro in law gave me 8 cattle panels that ill make the cages from, ill just need to buy 4 more.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm going up to my cabin to prep a small field for 12 chestnut trees I ordered from gurney. Going to go with cages instead of grow tubes. Bro in law gave me 8 cattle panels that ill make the cages from, ill just need to buy 4 more.
I got their magazine today.