Western WY Antelope & Deer Dying

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
It will be a mixed bag, there are areas where there has been a LOT of snow. However the wind has melted a bunch and there have been a LOT of warm days in that area with a LOT of really cold days. We will see how this plays out. West of the Wind Rivers may be a bit tougher.

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
It will be a mixed bag, there are areas where there has been a LOT of snow. However the wind has melted a bunch and there have been a LOT of warm days in that area with a LOT of really cold days. We will see how this plays out. West of the Wind Rivers may be a bit tougher.
Scott are you talking about west of Casper or somewhere else?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Yes, the Casper region will be a mixed bag of die offs and some animals doing well with the snow providing lots of green food once spring hits.

The region West of the Wind Rivers is going to be the one that I worry about a lot.

Last edited:

manitou1

Mar 21, 2017
United States
West of Casper has had a pretty rough go this winter. WY G&F predicts above average winter kill for this area.

We live a bit North of there and have observed some winter kill for a while now.

On a positive, we finally have had a few days in the upper 30's and some 40's the last two days and we have had some snow melt, exposing West (West wind last few days) slopes. This is in the foothills. Mountains are still buried 🥴

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Good portion of the state is rough this year- not just the west. I have a buddy who works for the BLM in the south central part of Wyoming. It isn't looking good there either. Will be a tough year or three to hunt antelope or deer... I expect significant tag reductions in many areas. I honestly wish they would just close some areas to really let them recover as quickly as possible.

Snow Water Equivalent through March 14th.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Here is a map showing current snow depth so guys can get a better feel for the problem areas. The problems on the western half of the state are fairly well documented but that south central herd is having a really tough winter. For that area, I would expect antelope permit decreases in areas 48, 50-53, 55-62, and 108. 112 and 95 might drop as well. Corresponding deer areas will also likely be impacted. Of course these aren't the only areas but there hasn't been much discussion on those so wanted to make sure guys planning hunts there were aware. That region has multiple days of snow forecast for next week but temps are increasing a bit into the low 30s.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
So area 48 elk added 300 type 7 tags and reduced the type 6 tags by 200. What's the difference between the two? I haven't been able to find anything describing it.