We got the meats!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
As a guy who does all of my own processing I can appreciate the amount of work that you have done right there so thanks for sharing a picture!

Can you share how to make that summer sausage? I would like to try making that next year.

Reactions: Prerylyon

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Summer sausage is simple.
Base seasoning is for 10# ground meat 50/50 wildgame/beef
8Tbs cure salt, I use tender quick
5tsp garlic powder
2.5 tsp onion powder
That's it for the base seasoning, but then I'll add say 5 tsp of black pepper, or 3 cups of chopped jalapeños and 5 frozen cups of cheddar.

Soak casings while you mix the meat, stuff, let sit overnight in the fridge, then bake or smoke at 225° till 165° inside.

Reactions: Prerylyon

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
We did are normal brats this year, but made 2 new flavors. Blueberry, wild rice, and Swiss, also a pomegranate and curry. Haven't tried the blueberry yet, but the curry is great!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Do you use the beef just for fat? I would like to skip the beef part and just ass beef fat. Any idea what ratio that would be? 80/20?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Do you use the beef just for fat? I would like to skip the beef part and just ass beef fat. Any idea what ratio that would be? 80/20?
Yes, for the moisture I don't use any elk meat, just Antelope and deer meat for seasoned meats, so it's just not moist enough. I've never had luck using just fat.
If you can find 73% lean burger you can do 60/40 wild game to beef

Reactions: mallardsx2

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I use 50% wild game usually elk since that is what I have most of and 50% pork, tends to be pork shoulder as it goes on sale the most around here. I have had great results and complimentary reviews.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Elk scraps have more value as burger for my family, only reason I don't use elk.

Ate some beer brats for lunch, top notch stuff.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
What casings do you guys use for your summer sausage/ trail bologna? Seems like most folks use fibrous, but I've heard good things about the inedible collagen in terms of taking on smoke.

It's been a good year for me with an antelope and a deer in the deep freeze, all cut and wrapped DIY. I started butchering myself in 2014; nothing against the lockers, most are skilled and make great stuff, but I don't think I'd go back, only unless I was hyper short on time and needed that service to get 'er done. Very rewarding to process your game. These winter days are prime time for branching out into new recipes and new snacks with the season's haul!

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fibrous for smoked bologna and summer sausage. Hog for brats. Collagen for snap sticks.
Yep. That's what I use too! I do use sheep casings for snack sticks sometimes, when I can get it.

I'm gonna try the inedible clear collagen on my next batch of trail bologna when I get to making some; will post back on how well it works out/takes on smoke.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I've always been told to use a minimum of 20 percent fat for all types of sausage. I freeze everything in 4 lbs bags . Then if i want to make snack sticks or any type of sausage I just add 1 lb of fat to it later .

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I've always been told to use a minimum of 20 percent fat for all types of sausage. I freeze everything in 4 lbs bags . Then if i want to make snack sticks or any type of sausage I just add 1 lb of fat to it later .

More than one way to skin a cat.

Try mixing it a few different ways, and run with the one you like doing the best.